LMDE-201204-xfce-dvd-64bit/AMD E-350/Radeon HD6310 wont boot

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
follyfarmer

LMDE-201204-xfce-dvd-64bit/AMD E-350/Radeon HD6310 wont boot

Post by follyfarmer »

This liveDVD wont boot on this hardware, actual error message "startpar: Service(s) returned failure: Live Boot.

Note this is not the first linux 3.x distro to fail to boot on this hardware but Linux Mint 9 is installed and works OK. Note also this hardware came pre-installed with win7 and presumably it worked, although I didn't actually boot win7 before installing Linux Mint.

Can someone shed some light on this, even if it's only how to boot to runlevel 3 and "install" other drivers and then startx and install 201204 to the hard drive.

Hardware:
emachines E443 notebook
CPU: AMD E-350 Dual-Core processor
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6310
4GB DDR3 Memory
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rootchick

Re: LMDE-201204-xfce-dvd-64bit/AMD E-350/Radeon HD6310 wont

Post by rootchick »

I'm having a similar problem too, with systems built on Biostar A55MH motherboards with an AMD A4 3400 processor with RadeonHD graphics. I've built two of them, and installed the first one with the LMDE 201109 32-bit iso, which worked, though after I upgraded the packages to Update Pack 4, the graphics quit working and the screen was black. I found a fix for that by installing the fglrx-driver via apt and then running "aticonfig --initial" to get a base X config file.

When I boot with the 201204-mate-cinnamon 32-bit iso, all I get is a black screen at the point where X should be starting. The only error I see before that is:

modprobe: module unknown not found in modules.dep

I suspect that the fix above would work, but since I can't boot into a GUI or activate a virtual console I can't apply it, although the system seems otherwise active--the DVD drive seems to be loading stuff and after it stops if I move the mouse or press a key on the keyboard it seems to become active again. I just can't get a display.
follyfarmer

Post by follyfarmer »

Hi rootchick,

Best of luck with your system, does sound similar problem to mind. I assume you did try to boot in 'compatibility mode' as that should provide a command line. Different distros describe this as run level 3 or single user mode.

I'm currently looking at applying a BIOS upgrade using FreeDOS., will let you know if I decide to go down that path.
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

I think its not processor-related. My ASUS 1215B (AMD E-350) works just fine with the new ISO (both MATE/Cinnamon and XFCE edition). The opensource (radeon) driver working fine on my system. I install the XFCE edition and get compiz run just fine.

have you check the ISO's md5?
follyfarmer

Post by follyfarmer »

Hi lahirdenganselamat, Yes checked both md5sum and ran the integrity check from the dvd, no errors.

Hi rootchick, I've successfully installed the V1.06 BIOS <http://support.gateway.com/us/en/emac/p ... fault.aspx> but no joy. However I've since discovered that Ubuntu 12.04 Server AMD64 wont install either so this is not an graphics problem as I had thought.

Still looking for an answer though :-(
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

How about turning off the acpi ? I dont know the detail on how-to-do-that, but you can just google it.

where do you get that error ?? Have you try to remove the "quiet splash" option on boot menu (by hitting the TAB key)? it will show you the boot process so you will know the detail.
follyfarmer

Post by follyfarmer »

The good news is that my problem seems to be solved with the 3.5.0-2.2 Ubuntu kernel which is based on the 3.5-rc4 upstream Linux kernel.

Ubuntu 12.10 Alpha2 just works!!!!
follyfarmer

Post by follyfarmer »

follyfarmer wrote:The good news is that my problem seems to be solved with the 3.5.0-2.2 Ubuntu kernel which is based on the 3.5-rc4 upstream Linux kernel.

Ubuntu 12.10 Alpha2 just works!!!!
Well Mint 14 Boots OK from USB and installs but the graphics is 'flakey' in that it doesn't always reach a login screen in which case it wont respond to anything except the power off button.

Eventually it does boot and all is fine after installing the AMD Video driver fglrx from the repositories.

So this one is Solved.

Return to “LMDE Archive”