compiz breaks window borders in Mint 13

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hurinth

compiz breaks window borders in Mint 13

Post by hurinth »

Hello, I tried this post to enable Compiz in Maya Mate 64bit with nVidia drivers enabled:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/919

When I start compiz (compiz --replace from terminal or Startup Apps) then my windows have no borders! But the real problem is that even if I click on the Window Decoration applet within the CCSM control panel, nothing happens. And each time I log into my desk and launch CCSM, no settings are retained from last time I selected them! Its like the CCSM is empty on the back, although I have installed all the compiz-XXXXX packages with the plugins.

Anybody has an idea why is this?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: compiz breaks window borders in Mint 13

Post by Oscar799 »

Split from another topic and moved here - please don't tack new questions onto the end of threads
gooby.pls

Post by gooby.pls »

hurinth wrote:Hello, I tried this post to enable Compiz in Maya Mate 64bit with nVidia drivers enabled:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/919

When I start compiz (compiz --replace from terminal or Startup Apps) then my windows have no borders! But the real problem is that even if I click on the Window Decoration applet within the CCSM control panel, nothing happens. And each time I log into my desk and launch CCSM, no settings are retained from last time I selected them! Its like the CCSM is empty on the back, although I have installed all the compiz-XXXXX packages with the plugins.

Anybody has an idea why is this?

Thanks
I had a lot of problems with this. In the end, it seems that replacing marco with compiz in mateconf editor had nothing to do with it. My settings are as follows:
In compiz settings, under window decoration, it says "/usr/bin/gtk-window-decorator"
in mateconf, desktop>mate>session>required_components under windowmanager it says "marco"

And it works when i do compiz --replace.
But you can't change themes like you normally would, you have to go into mateconf editor and change it there. ( apps>marco>general>theme, type the name)
hurinth

Post by hurinth »

Thank you for replying mate. My CCSM Window Decoration also says /usr/bin/compiz-decorator.

The problem I here is that nothing I check in CCSM will take effect. compiz --replace will only trigger part of the changes, its like the plugins within CCSM are being ignored, therefore I don't have window borders. What could be causing that? Any parameter that I might have to enable? Drivers?

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”