Mint 13 LXDE. When?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lm4td

Re: Mint 13 LXDE. When?

Post by lm4td »

I too do not care for fancy desktop effects and higher memory consumption.

I wish we still had a choice for LXDE with the new Mint releases.

Either way, thanks to everyone for such a great OS, no matter the DE.
Subito Piano

Post by Subito Piano »

unfortunately, it looks like you will have to settle for getting the XFCE edition (or any other edition) and installing the L'Ubuntu package from the repos. No LXDE is planned according to this post (about 2/3 of the way down) Hey, maybe you can upload an unofficial remaster! :wink:
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

I agree with El Quia and also with Subito Piano. I run Mint LXDE on my laptop and prefer it for its lean and mean performance--especially its speed. However, I think I could live with Mint Xfce or LMDE Xfce (which I'm testing via VirtualBox on both the desktop and laptop) in the future. 8)
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

To 3fri
However, I think I could live with Mint Xfce or LMDE Xfce (which I'm testing via VirtualBox on both the desktop and laptop) in the future. 8)
If your intending on using '32 Bit version LMDE' (and have time), you may want to look into 'Swift Linux'. It will upgrade to (LMDE) UPack 4 and if you add XFCE desktop (or LXDE) it runs basically like LMDE and even uses the same 'source list/repos' to install apps/stuff.

Beside some of the included apps/artwork and some other tweaks (can get from included repos thou :D ), seems to run faster and use even less resources. :wink:

Maybe
J.Jay
m4daredsun

Post by m4daredsun »

I installed Mint Debian with XFCE on an EEEPC and then put Openbox/LXDE on top.
I have now something which resembles closely Mint 12 LXDE, but I have to admit I am not fully satisfied with the machine performance.

For some reason, 'pure' Mint LXDE performed by far better. Really missing Mint LXDE :(
Subito Piano

Post by Subito Piano »

Well, you COULD (hack, hack) try L'Ubuntu. You can add minty packages. (I just installed it last night...)
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

Subito Piano wrote:Well, you COULD (hack, hack) try L'Ubuntu. You can add minty packages. (I just installed it last night...)
That certainly is an option, but as far as I understand that won't give the 5 year LTS. (Unless the lubuntu team changed thier minds on that one)

I'm kind of tempted to try the idea with using a Ubuntu Precise mini.iso adding lxde on top and if possible mint-ify it. Just have to find the time for it...
Subito Piano

Post by Subito Piano »

Umm -- as far as i understand it, LTS means packages will be available for 5 years. It shouldn't matter if it's any flavor of Ubuntu, Mint, official or not...
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

Subito Piano wrote:Umm -- as far as i understand it, LTS means packages will be available for 5 years. It shouldn't matter if it's any flavor of Ubuntu, Mint, official or not...
I'm not sure if you're answering my previous post or not, but if you did I have this quote for you:
Unlike Ubuntu, Lubuntu 12.04 is not a LTS, this version will be supported for 18 months. However, a lot of work has been done to improve the stability of the system.
Source: http://lubuntu.net/blog/lubuntu-1204-now-available

From what I've learned reading the blog posts here at Linux Mint (by Clem) and various forum threads all Mint Versions derive from the "original" Ubuntu instead of from it's DE quvivalent (Maya XFCE comes from standard Ubuntu, the LXDE version we will never see probably would've come from that version as well.)

If the lines I just quoted about Lubuntu not being considered as a LTS has an impact on trying to hack Lubuntu instead of "spinning" something from the original precise iso is something I'm not sure I want to comment on (don't have enough knowledge / experience to do that) but I imagine that there could be a risk that things might break if you try to apply newer stuff (in let's say 3 years) to a Lubuntu version that only officially lasted for 18 months.

This will not be the case with Maya XFCE since "our" devs consider that release being a 5 year LTS as well, and if the LXDE version wouldn't have been discontinued the same would have been applied there as well.
Subito Piano

Post by Subito Piano »

Bummer, man... :( Not so sure it will make a big difference to me, however. As for Mint, it's always my first choice for everyone I bring into the Linux camp. :)
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

Subito Piano wrote:Bummer, man... :( Not so sure it will make a big difference to me, however. As for Mint, it's always my first choice for everyone I bring into the Linux camp. :)
I'm not sure it will make that much of a difference for me either, since the computer I'm running lxde on is a netbook that's already 3 years old... I kind of hope that I'll have another more interesting travel companion in a couple of years. :lol:

And yes - Mint is what I always recommend when it comes to changing people's mind into trying something better than Windows. 8)
Subito Piano

Post by Subito Piano »

But i can't figure out - if Ubuntu 12.04 is LTS for 5 years and L'Ubuntu is based on it, shouldn't all software and repos work for BOTH versions thru 2017? Isn't that what LTS means?
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Ubuntu will support Ubuntu and Kubuntu for 5 years, Xubuntu for 3 and Lubuntu for 1.5 years. That means that if a LXDE only component breaks after 1.5 years they will not fix it but if it's a component that is shared with Xubuntu, Kubuntu or Ubuntu they will fix. Kernel, Office, Firefox will have support for 5 years, xfce4powermanager for 3 and PCmanFM, LX*, etc for only 1.5. LXDE is simple so should have less bugs to fix than more complex DE's.
Subito Piano

Post by Subito Piano »

¡Muchas gracias!
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Way I understand it....

Lubuntu not being LTS means 'the underlinig base system (Ubuntu) you probably will be getting the security fixes ect for the full 5 years (same repos mostly)(but not all and some things pinned ect in their Mirrors)
But
The fixes that Lubuntu does (patches, and other LXDE tweaks and such) won't be done after 18 months (they may but not likely).

So anything that comes along (frum Ubuntu LTS commitments or upstream bugs, probably won't get fixed after the 18 months.

J.Jay

P.S. waiting on 'Peppermint 3' (not sure whats going to be included thou) only thing I read release will be July 23 (they're very mum on it) It is a LXDE (Mostly) distro with (at least 2 does) the mint tools and such. :wink: My favorite on old TC1100 tablet. 8)
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

JJay,

Thanks for the input and suggestions re: LXDE alternatives. I may try Swift Linux and Peppermint in Virtual Box. Meanwhile, I've tried Lubuntu and it looks and performs just like Mint LXDE after installing the lxde package on Synaptic. I've also tried both LMDE 12-Xfce and LM 13-Xfce and prefer the latter because my iMac and MacBook don't seem to play well with Debian-based distros when I try a HD install. :?

f
jtaylor5309

Post by jtaylor5309 »

Worms wrote:Does anyone know when will the version of Linux Mint 13 LXDE?
The LXDE project is alive and well "lxde.org". I too was disappointed the the Mint project decided to not go with LXDE. I will hang on until end of support, give XFCE a try, if XFCE does not meet my expectations, I'll go with LXDE Debian.
veggen

Post by veggen »

To all guys in this thread who have Asus EEE 701: give Bodhi Linux a go. I have that Asus model as well, and Bodhi flies on it, leaving *plenty* of space too. It's also Ubuntu based, so no big shift.
lm4td

Post by lm4td »

well, I've moved on to LMDE Xfce and its pretty lightweight with my setup; it uses 170 MB of RAM upon logging in. Can't complain.
Subito Piano

Post by Subito Piano »

Boy i wish i had time to experiment more... :?

Return to “Software & Applications”