Compiz trouble

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newn

Compiz trouble

Post by newn »

On Mint 13 x64 Cinnamon, I'm getting this error when typing the following command after installing it:
compiz --replace

Code: Select all

compiz (decor) - Warn: No default decoration found, placement will not be correct
I have the default Nvidia drivers installed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Compiz trouble

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

compiz is not compatible with cinnamon or gnome-shell. it is compatible with mate and gnome-classic
newn

Post by newn »

I see. I saw an amazing video of a cube-like desktop switcher on Youtube earlier. A few fancy things like that are good sometimes. I assume there's no good alternative for it? :)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

cinnamon has some built-in effects and probably more will be added with further development (tho that is not the main focus right now) but i don't know really if we ever gonna get the mythic :lol: cube (unless someone writes an extension)
newn

Post by newn »

I'm still playing with the various configurations. I'm going to uninstall a lot of what I've installed too, like compiz for example.

So far, I'm liking this OS and I'm planning to use it to get more experience when working with Linux. Not sure where to start yet, but I'm sure there's much more to learn than apt-get install. :D
nymusicman

Post by nymusicman »

If compiz and Cinnamon absolutely cannot be used together than how did the maker of jessbuntu do it. Jessbuntu is based on Zorin OS but as I'm playing around I've noticed the following: All effects are controlled by Compiz, The icons in the upper right are gnome/cinnamon applets, when you right click on the Desktop and select Change Desktop Background and Cinnamon dialog comes up. Somehow, someway this has intermixed Cinnamon and Compiz. I wonder How. Check it out

http://speedracke6.wix.com/jessere-spin ... untu/c1vn3

This is only 32-bit, but if I can get most of this on my 64-bit Ubuntu/Mint installation that would be awesome!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

afaik zorin uses a customised cairo session (on top of gnome fallback and yes this one can use compiz because fallback uses metacity)
anyway i'm d/ling this respin to check it out.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”