The Mint Team Should SLOW Down On Releases!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DasFox
Level 3
Level 3

The Mint Team Should SLOW Down On Releases!

Post by DasFox »

As long as Mint has been around, to date, at least for me, 13 has been the worst release.

The Mate desktop is certainly more stable than Cinnamon and Cinnamon should still be in BETA, not a final release, to many issues I've encountered.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'll take STABILITY and a SLOW release cycle any day of the week over whipping out updates just to give us updates.

I personally feel that the Mint team is pushing out releases to fast and should really slow down and start working on QUALITY over QUANTITY.

Mint might be an Ubuntu based distro, but that certainly doesn't mean you need to move as fast as Ubuntu...

Then again since you are putting out LTS versions, maybe that's the way to go for those wanting STABILITY, but if that is the only way to go, then I think someone really needs to reconsider this project, because in my mind that seems foolish to think only the LTS gives stability...

Summarized after installing;

Cinnamon, in only a 3-4week period I've had 4 desktop lockups/crashes and the Update Manager does not work properly.

MATE, right after installing it gave me video problems.

These issues I encountered I do not call stability and in my 12 years as a Linux geek I know what stability is in a distro, actually Mint is my Kids box, Slack is mine and no offense to anyone, this is not meant to sound like a flame, Mint is a good distro, but it's just not stable enough and I hope this might be improved upon in the future...

I truly believe if you go slower and put out better quality, people will be happier, I know I would, because there's no point in having the latest updates and goodies if they aren't working so great...

CHEERS
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Re: The Mint Team Should SLOW Down On Releases!

Post by tinca »

DasFox,

I am running Mint 13 64 Cinnamon. I have been running it since it came out and I have had NO crashes or Freezes, To condem the release cycle is probably wrong as it appears that most people do not have your problems. Update manager works as I beleive it should do.

Best regards Keith
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

I agree partially with DasFox about the frequency of distro releases, but I wouldn't limit it to just Mint. For example, just take a look at the top 20 distros on DistroWatch and see how many new releases there have been among them in the past year.

As for Mint 13 Maya Cinnamon, like Keith, I have experienced no crashes or freezes. Update Manager works fine and, fwiw, it's been a while since I've had to install any updates at all, so I wouldn't say that the Mint team is "whipping out updates just to give us updates." :)

just my 2 cents,
f
DasFox
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DasFox »

I just had two lockups today using Chromium, so not sure if this is a Chromium problem or what, but I also had problems with Firefox always locking up the desktop and I had this happen on 3 different distros and 3 different boxes...

I've had enough of it I'm sorry to say, time to go look for something more stable...

I'm sorry Cinnamon is not stable...
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

I agree that Cinnamon is unstable on some machines. But on mine it works very well and it seems to be very stable. Most of the crashes are made by me :lol:
But I don't think the team should slow down on releases... I don't know why. You may try LMDE, it is stable :D
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

As long as Mint has been around, to date, at least for me, 13 has been the worst release.

Sorry to hear that however now you have another reason to move to LMDE. :D

The Mate desktop is certainly more stable than Cinnamon and Cinnamon should still be in BETA, not a final release, to many issues I've encountered.

To over simplify things MATE is a retread with its own dedicated team while G3 is a still evolving project which means the Mint folks will be chasing the continuing upstream changes for awhile.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'll take STABILITY and a SLOW release cycle any day of the week over whipping out updates just to give us updates.

You know how it goes, the stability faction versus the latest faction. Regardless of the path the Devs select somebody is not going to be happy.

I personally feel that the Mint team is pushing out releases to fast and should really slow down and start working on QUALITY over QUANTITY.

I agree but looking through the forum there are lots of folks who have other desires.

Mint might be an Ubuntu based distro, but that certainly doesn't mean you need to move as fast as Ubuntu...

Come to the LMDE side life is different. :D

Then again since you are putting out LTS versions, maybe that's the way to go for those wanting STABILITY, but if that is the only way to go, then I think someone really needs to reconsider this project, because in my mind that seems foolish to think only the LTS gives stability...

The main release is downstream from Ubuntu so it comes with many of the parents strengths and weaknesses.

Summarized after installing;

Cinnamon, in only a 3-4week period I've had 4 desktop lockups/crashes and the Update Manager does not work properly.

Don't know your unique situation so I cant comment beyond saying the hiccups I have with the new release have been minor.

MATE, right after installing it gave me video problems.

What else is new, video has always been a bit problematic under Linux from time to time.

These issues I encountered I do not call stability and in my 12 years as a Linux geek I know what stability is in a distro, actually Mint is my Kids box, Slack is mine and no offense to anyone, this is not meant to sound like a flame, Mint is a good distro, but it's just not stable enough and I hope this might be improved upon in the future...

Everybody has their own take on reality and what drives one person to distraction is just a bump in the road for others. Life is short and all the zero and ones don't really add up to much unless we want them to.

I truly believe if you go slower and put out better quality, people will be happier, I know I would, because there's no point in having the latest updates and goodies if they aren't working so great...

Everybody has their own view of Nirvana but few of us have the ability to create it.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”