Problem with Linux mint 13 Cinnamon 32-bit mint4win install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Osd1000

Problem with Linux mint 13 Cinnamon 32-bit mint4win install

Post by Osd1000 »

Hello, I have a problem, Once I reboot my PC after the Linux mint 13 installation on mint4win program is done, it boots up, but it says I have to run chkdsk /r, is this some sort of problem, since I removed the CD I was working with from the drive? Or did my Installation flop badly, I'm using a HP Slimline s5-1200z. It would be glad If you could help me. :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Problem with Linux mint 13 Cinnamon 32-bit mint4win inst

Post by zerozero »

please refer to the release notes regarding mint4win http://linuxmint.com/rel_maya.php
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

zerozero wrote:please refer to the release notes regarding mint4win http://linuxmint.com/rel_maya.php
The release notes stimply state that Mint4win malfunctions when used to install Linux Mint 13 32-bit. But the release notes - and no other location so far - give a good reason for this failure or announce that it will be fixed any time at all.

So pointing people who ask why their 32-bit Linux Mint 13 WUBI (mint4win) installation fails to the release notes is not really too satisfying. To be precise the official statements on the existing issue are less than satisfying.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

well, i'm sorry that you find the "warning" in the release notes "less than satisfying"
the problem exists, was identified and the users advised in the right place.

if, even with all this, you feel you need further explanation https://launchpad.net/linuxmint fill a bug-report please.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, zerozero.

What I consider dissatifying is the fact that so far no official statement has been given whether the current mint4win bug will be fixed. Simply writing that it does not support performing 32-bit Wubi installation is a bit weak without letting us know whether this is supposed to be the final word or just a known problem which will be addressed.
About filing a bug with Launchpad: What should be the fun of doing so? The defect is already known. Else the release notes would not tell us we can only perform 64-bit Wubi installations of Mint 13.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Yup. They should just take the download link off the board completely until it is functional.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

DaComboMan wrote:Yup. They should just take the download link off the board completely until it is functional.
Disagree. Taking away mint4win.exe from future 64-bit users of Mint 13 will not improve anything. The release notes do say that currently mint4win can only be used to perform Wubi installations of 64-bit Mint 13.
64-bit only for Mint4win
If you're planning to use Mint4win, please choose either MATE 64-bit or Cinnamon 64-bit. Although Mint4win is present on all images, it is only functional with the 64-bit ISOs.
What is missing currently is an official statement on the future of mint4win for 32-bit Mint 13 editions.
Karl
Lifeline
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Karl, thanks for your comments.
Also to precise that i was referring to the 32bit version that should be removed until it can be installed just like 64bit.
Perhaps until then, a text within brackets next to the 32bit indicating the issue would be good?
breaker

Post by breaker »

I fixed the MATE version, and I will post Cinnamon soon. As karlchen can tell you, the issue was bad mount.ntfs program within the initrd.lz, so I unpacked the ISO, then the initrd, fixed the files, repacked initrd, redid the integrity check MD5 stuff, recreated the ISO using the proper methods for Ubuntu based ISO customization. Enjoy.

This torrent is on open trackers, so I don't think transmission can handle UDP trackers, so try Deluge; http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p601184

Return to “Installation & Boot”