user can't accessing ntfs partitions..[solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
paramesh

user can't accessing ntfs partitions..[solved]

Post by paramesh »

Good day to every one.....I have a small problem..please find below..
I installed Linux mint 13 (maya) 32 bit...it works fine...and i like it.....i am able to access D and E drive from computer(icon)...it works fine for me...i created new user account and logged in through that user and try to open D and E drive it is asking for authentication(for my password )every time..... how to let user to access D and E drive...with out my Credential please let me know if have answer...

thank you....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: user can't accessing ntfs partitions..

Post by altair4 »

[1] Find the correct UUID number for your windows partitions:

Code: Select all

sudo blkid -c /dev/null
[2] Create permanent mountpoints for your partitions to live in, for example:

sudo mkdir /media/WinD

sudo mkdir /media/WinE
[3] Edit fstab as root:

gksu gedit /etc/fstab
[4] Add the following lines to the end of fstab, examples:

UUID=DA9056C19056A3B3 /media/WinD ntfs defaults,umask=000,nls=utf8,windows_names 0 0
UUID=A27826107825E3AF /media/WinE ntfs defaults,umask=000,nls=utf8,windows_names 0 0
Substitute the correct UUID numbers from step [1] and the correct mountpoints from step [2].

[5] If you have already mounted these partitions manually through computer(icon) - unmount them.

[6] Run the following command that will test for errors and if there are none mount the partitions to their new home without requiring a reboot:

sudo mount -a
Note: To the purist the addition of "umask=000" is redundant and unnecessary since it's in the defaults but I like to add it explicitly so that there is no doubt.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
paramesh

solved

Post by paramesh »

hi this is paramesh...fortunately i got the solution for this issue by googling.....i just installed "ntfs-config" package through Package manager in Mint mate.....any way thank you very much for all your stuff....it was really helped me.....thank you a lot....
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: user can't accessing ntfs partitions..[solved]

Post by altair4 »

That's fine. You have to do what you have to do.

Realistically, I expect maybe 1 in 20 people will want to use the Jedi way of editing fstab directly. That's just enough I suspect to contunue the user base that will ensure that someone will be availlable to help others out of the mess that can be made when using ntfs-config, mountmanager, PySDM, and others whose names I can't remember at the moment. :wink:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Storage”