How To: Partition your Hard Drive.

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
sagirfahmid3

Re: How To: Partition your Hard Drive.

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

*facepalm*...I knew it, but forgot to tell that.
iain_j

Post by iain_j »

Hello you very helpful people

I'm on the verge of wiping my Vista system and installing Mint, and I've been trawling this forum for tips, today in particular about partitioning. I would have left the installer to do its default, with a swap and / partition, but now I'm planning:

Swap - 4Gb (to allow hibernation)
/ - 10Gb (including /home)
Documents, Music, Pictures, etc. - sizes to be decided, to be mounted into appropriate folders under /home/iain

My question is, is there an equivalent in Linux of Windows' "users\all users" folder that I can mount partitions to? To start with there'll only be one user (me) but if I add any more I'd like them to have access to the Music partition without mapping into each user's home folder.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

You can make the music folder so its readable by all users, no worries.
iain_j

Post by iain_j »

Thanks sagirfahmid3

What I'm trying to figure out, is where would be a logical place to mount such a partition? Firstly I was wondering if there's an "all users" folder under /home as per Windows, then I was going along the lines of mounting it under /media, until I read about anything here being under root ownership.

Apologies for my nooby ignorance, I'm used to putting everything somewhere within the Windows "users" folder.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Hmm, then you would be better off just creating a separate partition for music (preferably NTFS because it's readable by both Windows and Linux--also because it has lesser file-system overhead, so you will have MORE disk space than you would if you used ext2/3/4 filesystem).

You could automount that NTFS partition after installing ntfs-config (sudo apt-get install ntfs-config). You must run the program as root.
Terminal> sudo ntfs-config

Make sure to check the box that says "readable" only (unless you want other users to use up space without your permission).
Lord High Warlock

Post by Lord High Warlock »

I hope it's alright to kinda hijack this thread...

I'm going to be installing Mint 13 on a 750GB hard drive (the Windows 7 partition will be entirely scrubbed) with 6GB of RAM. Should I just let Mint create its own partitions, or should I use a more specific configuration?

While I'm extremely familiar with Windows Partitions, I'm somewhat lacking in the Linux / Unix environments.

Return to “Tutorials”