Linux mint installer won't run.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
yskywalker

Linux mint installer won't run.

Post by yskywalker »

When I double click on the install linux mint icon on the desktop, it won't run. Instead, it tells me, "the program is using root permissions without requiring a password." It goes on to say that, "This is not a bug, or necessarily a problem. It's just a warning." The problem is that after I click close on the "warning" box, nothing happens. I tried right clicking the icon, and choosing "run as administrator", but that requires an administrator password.(more on that in a moment.) Then I went to properties for that icon, and copied and pasted the terminal command that the icon invokes into a terminal window, but that also requires a password.

I have asked for the default password on the "newbies" forum, and hopefully that will fix the problem. I still want to know why in the world this doesn't work.

Thanks in advance. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Linux mint installer won't run.

Post by zerozero »

are you using a live-dvd or a live-usb? if the latter how did you created it? with what "tool"? if not unetbootin try it. it won't ask you for root pw for installation :wink:
yskywalker

Post by yskywalker »

Wow! That was quick. I am using a live-usb made with the "usb pen drive linux" tool.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

ok :D try unetbootin as i suggested in the post above. there's no root p/w for lmde, the problem is that some tools don't play well with the installer (or the other way around) and instead of a live-session (as you want) you get a kinda of a persistent install but without choosing username and p/w
yskywalker

Post by yskywalker »

OK, I'll try that.
gerrygeneric

Post by gerrygeneric »

Thanks for the answer. I was having the exact same problem, for the same reason. I'll try this after work tonight. Gotta love community software. :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”