How can I use my laptop's S/PDIF output with LM LXDE 12?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
neolex

How can I use my laptop's S/PDIF output with LM LXDE 12?

Post by neolex »

hello. i have an old compaq nx6125 laptop that has an s/pdif output that i can use to connect it to a tv. i'd like to watch my movies on the bigger screen tv than on the laptop. does anyone know how i can use it? the fn keys don't seem to work in mint as it does with windows before it. thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: How can I use my laptop's S/PDIF output with LM LXDE 12?

Post by jjaythomas »

connect it...

See if shows in 'lxrandr' settings>monitor (If I remember).

I have a laptop like that also (it shows) turn on output and disable other monitor, will still run laggy (remember also the resolutions will be lower(800x600 if old style TV in USA))

also had one TV would be in Black & white only unless actually installed with other output disabled/not connected).

P.S. I like to put various "Linux's on old computers then give charity.

J.Jay

P.S.again
found "Peppermint' best for making (playing movies, flash ect) media type box on old style TVs. :wink:
neolex

Post by neolex »

i tried lxrandr as suggested but it only managed to detect the laptop's screen even with the tv turned on. :( it didn't detect the tv and i had no other option but the laptop monitor. are there any other suggestions?
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Make sure TV set to channel 3 (maybe 4)

if laptop has hot key/combo for monitor ((usually FN key key plus F7-10), check laptop docs if have (also usually can find pdf online). Some have function (hot key/key combo) to use internal monitor or projector (external Svideo) or both at same time.

if not try installing 'arandr' package and see if shows up.
also try...
running a live CD/DVD and check monitor setting (may have to be detected during install) Peppermint, mint-lxde, mate ect.
J.Jay

P.S. did you use jockey to install a 'ATI or NV' video driver??
neolex

Post by neolex »

i installed and ran arandr and the results are the same as lxrandr. the window showed s-video option for arandr but it doesn't give the option to activate or anything. the fn key is useless. it's not working. i can't even take screenshots using prtscrn key because it required the fn key combination to activate. :(

how can i check which ati driver i am using? i think linux mint installed it by default as i did nothing to install any ati drivers.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

If showing in arandr

make sure "clone image on both monitor' (I think thats what says :oops: ) box not checked. Once that done should be able to drag monitor (boxes) to be 'side-by-side'
if can then
click on one should be able to config/disable separately (atleast one alway need to be active at all times)

J.Jay

P.S. if FN key not working the BIOS usally has setting to activate Display also. :wink:

Return to “Software & Applications”