Unusually High CPU Activity in Mint Isadora

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frodopogo

Unusually High CPU Activity in Mint Isadora

Post by frodopogo »

Hi,

I'm running Linux Mint Isadora on an eMachines computer with an AMD chip.

Fairly often lately, I've noticed the CPU usage rise to 90% and hover around there, like it's been doing right now.
This happens when there really isn't much happening on my computer to warrant this. After boot up, the CPU usage drops pretty low.

Does anybody know what could be causing it?

BTW, I'm running the 32 bit version of Mint Isadora. I don't have much memory 2 gigs, I think.

I did do a torrent download a while back- could they still be using my computer's CPU?
Or could it be a rootkit? However, I did run a rootkit detector not too long ago and the results were negative.
Or is it some bug in Isadora?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Unusually High CPU Activity in Mint Isadora

Post by AlbertP »

Please open the Software Monitor and look which process is using so much CPU. (kworker perhaps?)
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
frodopogo

Post by frodopogo »

I think I've figured it out.

It's the number of tabs in Mozilla Firefox... it's always opening a new tab, and I probably don't close them often enough when I'm done.
Like with YouTube videos, I'm likely to want to go back and listen to the video again- I'm a musician, and I'm looking for details I hadn't noticed the first time I played it.
Once there are more tabs than that tab bar has room for, or maybe even a little sooner, the CPU activity goes WAY up.
And I suspect that any tab that has a video on it (which includes not only YouTube but also many news sites) gobbles up more of the CPU.
So I REALLY need to pay closer to that CPU window, and when it shows too much blue, start shutting tabs down. Linux may indeed be faster and more efficient than Windows, but I guess there is STILL a limit!
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You could try using the experimental HTML5 videos of Youtube, replacing Flash. That might reduce CPU usage.

Downloading or seeding a torrent should not use so much CPU. Also, by default Transmission does not start automatically when logging in.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Other topics”