Open to share folders no longer available [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kbkb

Open to share folders no longer available [SOLVED]

Post by kbkb »

I used to be able to share folders via SAMBA. The option is no longer available to me.
I am using LMDE 64 Bit.

Ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sonsum

Re: Open to share folders no longer available

Post by Sonsum »

What DE are you running, Cinnamon? MATE? XFCE?
kbkb

Post by kbkb »

mate at this moment
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

There's 3 ways to "share folders via SAMBA" so I don't know which option is missing for you:

** Through Nautilus - nautilus-share
I don't use MATE but I believe this option is not available in MATE.

** Through system-config-samba
I don't use Debian but system-config-samba is an Ubuntu utility and not in the debian repositories.

** Through shares-admin
Believe it or not this is still available in Debian but you must install the following package if it's not installed by default:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools
Of course there's a 4th way:

gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
And there's even a 5th way of creating shares from the command line.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

altair4 wrote:** Through shares-admin
Believe it or not this is still available in Debian but you must install the following package if it's not installed by default:

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools
That package has been ported over to MATE as mate-system-tools. That's what I use to do simple folder sharing in MATE.
kbkb

Post by kbkb »

I tried sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools in my terminal - no difference.

I removed and installed gnome-system-tools from software manager - no difference.

I believe samba is running because I can stop and start the services. I just don't have a means as before to share folders from the gui.

I'm getting frustrated with LMDE. I appreciate the work that went into it. It takes great talent but from an end user. Here are the problems I am facing:
  • Wine cannot be installed from the repository after a fresh install. I've tried a number of suggestions - no go.
    My printer required a manual driver install and a series of commands to get it to work via usb.
    From a fresh install my sound did not work in Firefox/flash.
    SAMBA which worked great in the past is giving me lots of problems now.
    I'm having difficulty switching from mate to cinnamon. It just doesn't work.
I've been using LMDE since the beginning.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Did you do what squeezy suggested:

sudo apt-get install mate-system-tools
I have no idea if it ends up in the menu but if it's like "gnome-system-tools" just open a terminal and type:

shares-admin
If you created a share and are having problems with that then please post the output of the following commands:

testparm -s

smbtree
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
kbkb

Re: Open to share folders no longer available [SOLVED]

Post by kbkb »

I tried a number of things but it may have been a combination of applying the changes that the previous person posted and rebooting my system that got it working for me.

Thanks all!

Return to “LMDE Archive”