I can not see my LMDE on XP

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
boysha
Level 3
Level 3

I can not see my LMDE on XP

Post by boysha »

I spent a long time going through forums and other places and I still couldn't find an answer.
I never had this problem before but since I switched to LMDE (I love it despite this small problem...) and I have a hard time finding it on my XP machine.
It is important to me because I frequently use files from LMDE to work on AutoCAD at my Windows XP. At the moment I use all kind of tricks to accomplish this task but it would be so much nicer if I could have a few mapped folders in XP. I am not sure why it doesn't work. I tried a few things, suggestions but nothing seem to be working. I have another 3 more computers in the house and I can see them all except this LMDE one.
Can someone help me? Please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: I can not see my LMDE on XP

Post by wayne128 »

boysha wrote:I spent a long time going through forums and other places and I still couldn't find an answer.
I never had this problem before but since I switched to LMDE (I love it despite this small problem...) and I have a hard time finding it on my XP machine.
It is important to me because I frequently use files from LMDE to work on AutoCAD at my Windows XP. At the moment I use all kind of tricks to accomplish this task but it would be so much nicer if I could have a few mapped folders in XP. I am not sure why it doesn't work. I tried a few things, suggestions but nothing seem to be working. I have another 3 more computers in the house and I can see them all except this LMDE one.
Can someone help me? Please?

Not too sure what you meant by WinXP not seeing LMDE.

Perhaps you refer to file sharing in Local Networking?

If that is the case, first thing to do is to refer to altair4 tutorial and just follows the steps , that is to let your LMDE to work as a 'server' and share file in a simple way

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=23169

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 18#p315218
boysha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by boysha »

Thank you! However, I passed these and other suggestions several times and I still have a problem. At one point XP was able to see my LMDE in the Workgroup but that is all - I didn't have the rights to access any files and folders there. When I try to Share any Directory on LMDE, although there is a Share Folder at right-click, nothing happens when I do so. I tried when I open the Home as an Administrator and I still could not get to Share any Directory. Stays to reason that Windows XP will not have any Folders to share with my LMDE if I can not make them Share-able. All I do makes me feel like I am going in circles. Maybe a good, step by step suggestion?
drdavidk

Post by drdavidk »

I rarely ever use Windows anymore, but for the rare times that I do, I've partitioned my hard drive so that all my data are on a separate FAT32 partition, which Windows and LMDE can read.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Don't know if you went through the checklist or not:
Samba Browsing Problems Checklist: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 46&start=0

If that gets you nowhere please post the output of each of the following commands:

Code: Select all

testparm -s
net usershare info --long
hostname
smbtree
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
boysha
Level 3
Level 3

Re: I can not see my LMDE on XP [SOLVED]

Post by boysha »

Thanks. It's working now...
boysha
Level 3
Level 3

Re: I can not see my LMDE on XP [SOLVED]

Post by boysha »

boysha wrote:Thanks. It's working now...[SOLVED]