fast audio playback (too fast)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrhubris

fast audio playback (too fast)

Post by mrhubris »

Hi

I'm new to Linux Mint but i have experimented with Ubuntu. Not that it means i know anything relevant but still...

When i try to play audio streams the play to fast. A 3 minute track plays in about 10 seconds.
This also happens when playing a webstream and when playing movie files.

I couldn't find a similar problem in the other topics so i started a new one.

Relevant information:

I'm running it on a VmWare

My version:

Code: Select all

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	LinuxMint
Description:	Linux Mint 8 Helena - Main Edition
Release:	8
Codename:	helena
Output from: lsmod | grep snd

Code: Select all

snd_ens1371            22016  2 
gameport               11368  1 snd_ens1371
snd_ac97_codec        101216  1 snd_ens1371
ac97_bus                1532  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm_oss            37920  0 
snd_mixer_oss          16028  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                75296  3 snd_ens1371,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy           2656  0 
snd_seq_oss            28576  0 
snd_seq_midi            6432  0 
snd_rawmidi            22208  2 snd_ens1371,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event      6940  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                50224  6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer              22276  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device          6920  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd                    59204  14 snd_ens1371,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore               7264  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          9156  1 snd_pcm
Anyone that can help me with figuring this out?
I would like to install it as my default OS but only if this works offcourse.

Regards
MrHubris
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BrianD

Re: fast audio playback (too fast)

Post by BrianD »

mrhubris wrote:When i try to play audio streams the play to fast. A 3 minute track plays in about 10 seconds.
This also happens when playing a webstream and when playing movie files.
...and, you mention you're running it on VMWare. I can, in fair confidence, state that this situation is not normal -- and that assertation can be backed by the total lack of thousands upon thousands of posts in this forum and elsewhere complaining of this behaviour when playing audio and video files in Mint. :wink:

I have no idea if VMWare, how it is implemented, or how it is allocating resources has anything to do with the issue you're seeing... but my first suggestion would be to burn a Linux Mint ISO to a CD or DVD and try booting from that (your installed operating system will not be touched/altered in any way by using the Live CD) and see if you can play audio and video files normally. My bet is they will play just fine.
mrhubris

Post by mrhubris »

I would very much like to believe that but i hope you understand that i would like to be sure before i install it. But i'll check what happens with a live cd.

Gr
Mrhubris
mrhubris

Post by mrhubris »

Ok, tested with a livecd.
Audio works like it should.

Does this mean that there are problems with Linux Mint and audio in combination with VmWare? I think so.

Gr
MrHubris
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

I don't think so.

I think, if anything can be said, it's that there are problems with VMWare's virtualization of hardware, on certain hardware. I don't think it's fair to place the blame anywhere else, at this point.
gerardo101

Post by gerardo101 »

I have the same problem too. And when i put a dvd on it plays really slow. So can i please have some help? Im a newbie at linux

Return to “Sound”