Opening Ports for Transmission

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Andric

Opening Ports for Transmission

Post by Andric »

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this. Forgive me if I'm in the wrong area.

I've been trying to download torrents with Transmission for nearly 2 days now but they're not even connecting to any peers. I've been searching a bit and the problem is the port, it's closed. It's using the default port 51413 and I've looked in the forums and it's been said to be solved by allowing Transmission with the ufw firewall. I've done that but the test keeps showing is closed and the torrents are still not doing anything.

The weird thing is, I've downloaded a lot of torrents in the past and I had no problem until now, and I'm pretty sure I haven't changed any setup in my network. My question is for a step-by-step guide on how to open the port. I'm really newbie and have no idea what I'm doing, please, I'm kinda getting desperate.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: Opening Ports for Transmission

Post by oobetimer »

This is quite funny thing, because some torrents are working and some not .. :?
mr.peeters

Post by mr.peeters »

Have exactly the same problem here. Trying to up & download with transmission, port 51414 opened on my network but transmission insists the port is closed. Exact same settings worked fine in ubuntu. Did you find anything to solve this problem in the meantime? Could it be some issue with the firewall (which I have disabled)? Thanks a lot!
Mister A

Post by Mister A »

When you open the port(s) on your router, are you opening them for all IP addresses or just a single IP address? Are you opening it for the correct IP address for your machine running Transmission? Running ifconfig from the command line will tell you your specific IP address.
mr.peeters

Post by mr.peeters »

Hey Mister A,
Thanks for your reply - but yes I open ports on router for the right ip-address, I do take care to check that of course.
As I said, settings exactly the same as in ubuntu - and all worked fine.
I made several port forwarding rules for several ip-addresses because the address changes sometimes - 1, 2, 3.

However, just found out that when I connect to my router via a lan cable, torrent client says the port is open.
When I switch back to wireless connection (via the same router) it closes again...

Thanks for any help!
Mister A

Post by Mister A »

I'm probably stating the obvious here but the IP address for the wireless connection will be different than the IP address for the cable connection so you'll need to open the port for BOTH.
mr.peeters

Post by mr.peeters »

Thanks for your reply, but yes indeed - I obviously made rules for different ip-addresses.
At the moment it's .101, and I did make a rule for that but my torrent client says port is closed...

Return to “Networking”