How Can I Recover data ?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Supermall

How Can I Recover data ?

Post by Supermall »

My computer system crashed. What I could describe as Operating system crash. My colleague who was using it in my absence rushed it to (quark) computer technician who ended up disassembling the hard drive, damaging the mechanism in the process. I have very important files in the damaged hard drive. I believe the platter is still good. How can I recover the data? Please Help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: How Can I Recover data ?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

The only ways I know of to recover data require that the data be on a functioning, readable drive. At the moment, your drive apparently does not meet these criteria. If you can get someone to rebuild the drive to a readable condition, my first choice of tools would be those contained in Parted Magic

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=start

Or just Google free data recovery software and take your choice.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

...ended up disassembling the hard drive...
You got it back physically disassembled? Case open? :shock:

Contact the manufacturer of the harddrive!
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

It's very important data, but you have no backups?
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

dagon wrote:
...ended up disassembling the hard drive...
You got it back physically disassembled? Case open? :shock:

Contact the manufacturer of the harddrive!
Warranty is usually VOIDED if you open the hard drive assembly.
veggen

Post by veggen »

Sounds like you need to take it to the professionals... but the price of such complex procedures is astronomical.
The only other option is to rebuild the drive using healthy parts...

Return to “Other topics”