install question

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
moonPeople

install question

Post by moonPeople »

i do not know what to title the post.

did a 64 bit Xfce Mint Debian install on a HP Pavilion g4, Intel Pentium B 950.

did the partition with the guide from: http://helpsite.org/linux-mint-debian-edition/

any way, i did the install last night before i went to work at 10 pm and now at 7 am and brain dead.
after the install, partition and restart the screen went into a white text and black with words:

Linux Mint GNU/LINUX, WITH lINUX 3.2.1-2-AMD64
Linux Mint GNU/LINUX, WITH lINUX 3.2.1-2-AMD64 ( RECOVERY MODE )

Dialog:
press enter to boot the selected os, "e" to edit the commands before booting or "c" for a command line.

so should i go for a re boot or recovery mode.

is this screen usual procedure.

i have yet to connect to the network, should i connect to the network and go into #apt-get.

The amd part in the message throws the message off when it should be an Intel.
Thank you in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintybits

Re: install question

Post by mintybits »

This is a normal screen. It is the Grub menu. It shows you what operating systems and options are known by the linux Grub bootloader to exists on your disks.

Normally, you would only see this menu if there were more operating systems than Mint available. You have only described Mint (normal and recovery modes). You have not mentioned the "memtest" entry that is normally also listed. So either there is another OS in the list, such as Windows, or you have configured grub to always show the menu.

In any case, you should select the first item for booting. What happens when you do this?

BTW, the "AMD64" name has nothing to do with whether your motherboard uses an Intel or an AMD processor. This is a highly misleading, rather arbitrary way of describing 64-bit operating systems and I wish Ubuntu and Mint and everyone else would stop using it. "AMD64" is fine for your Intel motherboard and uP. :)
moonPeople

Re: install question

Post by moonPeople »

Normally, you would only see this menu if there were more operating systems than Mint available. You have only described Mint (normal and recovery modes). You have not mentioned the "memtest" entry that is normally also listed. So either there is another OS in the list, such as Windows, or you have configured grub to always show the menu.
memtest ?, i know not. i did not see that.

there was some dialog during transitions, before the grub dialog screen, with words at the head of message :
mode probe module not found in modules.dep

and then a small trail of programmer messages. i could not read that fast.

In any case, you should select the first item for booting. What happens when you do this?
this is what happened:

okay i did select the top most option , " reboot " ?
and i did not write in original that the screen had a header of grub something, forgive me i work a grave yard and am a bit slow and retarded at times.

any way after selecting the re boot option there is the machine beep and the screen is 98 percent black the mint log in dialog is faint, verry faint.

before i came back here i took some time and went over the text at the beginning of the Debian release, ' an aggrigate of links in a small area' and found install issues posts ' correct name ? ' , and some one else had some problems with following the guide at http://helpsite.org/linux-mint-debian-edition/.
i went thru the partition guide as carefully as i could last night, seeing that it was a bit old.
and while coming out of g parted and back into Mint Debian dialog of partitions it seemed as though Winow`s was not actually erased when i did follow the suggested guidelines to erase winow`s.
i went ahead and with faith and trust that the g parted partition values would be taken into the debian partition as values to partition to.
i may have to re install and re partition,

what do you think.
i went over this post as best i could with what little brain energy i have. to day is my friday and it could be a two days before i am back to almost normal think mode.

There is a link here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&t=106639
to a u tube post on how to correctly do a partition in Mint Debian.
i will look into that.
i did delete Adobe flash from this Mint OS 11, so i am not able to do u tube with Linux at this time.
The latest Mac virus was birthed by a Java hole in A_Flash.
So i said good by to A_flash.

Thanks

Return to “Xfce”