[Solved] Icon Problem

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ateo

[Solved] Icon Problem

Post by Ateo »

Just installed Mint 13 and dual-booting with vista. I am a beginner in linux and just have this little problem. I would like to change the icon of an application, eg Firefox. I attempted doing this by going into properties of the Firefox icon on my desktop which works fine for the icon on the desktop but the icon is still the same in the menu and when I drag it into docky. I attached a screenshot of what I mean but the program is geany in this case. Could someone tell me how to change the icon so that it changes everywhere or at least docky to whatever I specify. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ginsu543

Re: Icon Problem

Post by Ginsu543 »

To change the icon in Docky, you have to change the icon file Docky uses to represent the program. Most of these can be found in the /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps folder. If you find the icon Docky uses for your program there, try replacing it with the one you want. If that doesn't work, just hunt around other folders for your icon and try replacing those. Through trial-and-error, I've managed to replace every icon in my Docky with a replacement that matches my icon theme:

Ateo

Post by Ateo »

Ginsu543 wrote:To change the icon in Docky, you have to change the icon file Docky uses to represent the program. Most of these can be found in the /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps folder. If you find the icon Docky uses for your program there, try replacing it with the one you want. If that doesn't work, just hunt around other folders for your icon and try replacing those. Through trial-and-error, I've managed to replace every icon in my Docky with a replacement that matches my icon theme:
The icons are in a different folder but I managed to find them. Could you just tell me another thing though, what icons should I replace, the ones in the folder 48 or scalable? I to my understanding I should use the scalable one for higher resolution is this right? If its the scalable one I need .svg files but what application do I use to save .png files as .svg as I haven't seen that extension in gimp?
Ginsu543

Post by Ginsu543 »

Ateo wrote:
Ginsu543 wrote:To change the icon in Docky, you have to change the icon file Docky uses to represent the program. Most of these can be found in the /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps folder. If you find the icon Docky uses for your program there, try replacing it with the one you want. If that doesn't work, just hunt around other folders for your icon and try replacing those. Through trial-and-error, I've managed to replace every icon in my Docky with a replacement that matches my icon theme:
The icons are in a different folder but I managed to find them. Could you just tell me another thing though, what icons should I replace, the ones in the folder 48 or scalable? I to my understanding I should use the scalable one for higher resolution is this right? If its the scalable one I need .svg files but what application do I use to save .png files as .svg as I haven't seen that extension in gimp?
In my experience, you should always replace the scalable icon first before the 48x48, if that will get the results you want. That way, you won't get pixelated icons when they are used in higher resolutions. However, you can still use .png icons. I have found that Mint/Ubuntu likes 128x128 icons. So all you have to do is save your icon image in that size as a .png file, copy it over to the Scalable folder, and just rename the extension to .svg.
Ateo

Post by Ateo »

Ginsu543 wrote: In my experience, you should always replace the scalable icon first before the 48x48, if that will get the results you want. That way, you won't get pixelated icons when they are used in higher resolutions. However, you can still use .png icons. I have found that Mint/Ubuntu likes 128x128 icons. So all you have to do is save your icon image in that size as a .png file, copy it over to the Scalable folder, and just rename the extension to .svg.
When I rename the extension to .svg the file is unreadable when I preview it, is this the case for you?
Ginsu543

Post by Ginsu543 »

Yes, the Preview won't work, but the icon will show up fine. Give it a try and you'll see. :D
Ateo

Post by Ateo »

Ginsu543 wrote:Yes, the Preview won't work, but the icon will show up fine. Give it a try and you'll see. :D
Thanks for all the help :)
Ginsu543

Re: [Solved] Icon Problem

Post by Ginsu543 »

No prob! :D

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”