[Solved] Mint KDE 13 Release ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BostonPeng

Re: Mint KDE 13 Release ?

Post by BostonPeng »

KBD47 wrote:I think LMDE is safe. This appears to very much be a buntu bug. I don't know what they changed between 11.10 and 12.04 but something they tweaked or added caused it. I've found it across all desktops on my desktop computer:
KDE, Xfce, LXDE, Unity, and MATE.
Sweet. That means I only have to worry about it in my VM and I can kill that easily enough if I need to. I hope they can pin down the cause for you.
ElQuia

Will there be a Mint 13 KDE?

Post by ElQuia »

Will there be a Mint 13 KDE?
When?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

[topics merged; same subject]
ferri

Re: Will there be a Mint 13 KDE?

Post by ferri »

ElQuia wrote:Will there be a Mint 13 KDE?
When?
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

BostonPeng wrote:
multiplicis wrote:I agree with you, but you must remember that MintKDE 13 should be based on Kubuntu 12.04 LTS. Kubuntu 12.04 LTS (at this moment) has a lot of bugs, it is unstable (segfault errors in Plasma, KTorrent freezes, incomplete language support, and so on). Every release of Kubuntu always needs quite a lot of time to became stable and reliable. I think that Mint cannot do other than waiting...
This is a big reason why I run KDE on top of LMDE. It's not an official release (altho I really hope it will be sooner rather than several years down the pike) but I don't have to wait for clem and the Kubuntu folks to get the release fixed so we can get Mint KDE. I'm running a testing release I wouldn't even recommend to a lot of users (yes, things can and do break from time to time) but after running this combination for a while I wouldn't do Linux any other way, unless clem gives us an official LMDE KDE release.

I don't mean to gloat, because I really do hope Mint KDE users can get their release sooner rather than later. I was part of the community that waited FOREVER for what I believe was Mint 11 KDE and I don't think it ever came out, instead going right to Mint 12 KDE. It was no fun being part of that crowd, which is why when I got my laptop I just went to LMDE and bolted KDE on top of it. I'll never knowingly try to rush clem and the Mint dev team but sometimes waiting for it to be right so it can ship can be a royal PITA.
mint 12 kde was decent but was lacking the tlc that the reg releases receive. My main complaint was not having a option to turn the screen saver off not for a hour but have a never setting . Hope that mint fixes the little things in the new kde release. That was my main complaint with kde in general the screen saver issue has been raised on countless sites and has for the most part not been fixed. I tried using caffeine and it dident work with mint12 kde.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

ashtonford wrote: mint 12 kde was decent but was lacking the tlc that the reg releases receive. My main complaint was not having a option to turn the screen saver off not for a hour but have a never setting . Hope that mint fixes the little things in the new kde release. That was my main complaint with kde in general the screen saver issue has been raised on countless sites and has for the most part not been fixed. I tried using caffeine and it dident work with mint12 kde.
This comment about the screensavers seems odd to me. I've always seen screensaver configuration in KDE. In KDE 4.8.3 it's under System Settings > Display and Monitor > Screen Saver. You can also get to the dialog by using the RUn Command INterface (the default is Alt-F2) and type Screen Saver. It should be installed by default with KDE but if it isn't you can install kscreensaver.All you have to do is untick the box for Start automatically after: and your screen saver will be completely disabled until you tick the box again.

I fired up my Mint 12 KDE virtual machine (with KDE 4.7.4) and the setting is right in the same place. I've snapped some screenshots in both LMDE and Mint 12 KDE to show which box you need to find. I hope it helps.

thunder422

Post by thunder422 »

I think what he was saying is that the screen saver doesn't work right regardless of the settings. I've noticed the same thing. The screen saver kicks in after 10 minutes. I currently have it set for 30 minutes, but still after 10 minutes it starts. I think even turning it off, it still starts after 10 minutes. Something is broken This worked fine in Mint 10 KDE with KDE 4.6.2. (I'm using KDE 4.8.2 on Mint 12 KDE.)
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

they need to put a never choice on the settings like they have in the regular gnome mint releases. You shouldent have to edit files etc to get the screen saver to not activate.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Just curious, can the screensaver be removed? That's what I've done in the past with the Xfce xscreensaver.
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

KBD47 wrote:Just curious, can the screensaver be removed? That's what I've done in the past with the Xfce xscreensaver.
thats a good question or like I said just offer the modern day normal choice of never on the settings choices then everyones happy the people that want a screen saver can have it and the rest of us that dont can be happy also. Mint usually offers a polished out of the box ready to go distro. You shouldent have to add extra screen savers , have to edit config files etc to get a screen saver turned off
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

KBD47 wrote:Just curious, can the screensaver be removed? That's what I've done in the past with the Xfce xscreensaver.
I just fired up Synaptic in my Mint 12 KDE virtual machine and you should be able to remove kscreensaver. I got a message that it would also remove kde-standard but that's a meta package (a package that grabs a bunch of other packages) and I was able to do the removal and restarted my virtual machine without finding out I no longer have KDE installed on it.
thunder422 wrote:I think what he was saying is that the screen saver doesn't work right regardless of the settings. I've noticed the same thing. The screen saver kicks in after 10 minutes. I currently have it set for 30 minutes, but still after 10 minutes it starts. I think even turning it off, it still starts after 10 minutes. Something is broken This worked fine in Mint 10 KDE with KDE 4.6.2. (I'm using KDE 4.8.2 on Mint 12 KDE.)
I have noticed that I've had to confirm some elements of kscreensaver needed installing but that's putting KDE on top of LMDE plus moving to alternate (testing) repos so I'm not certain how the official Mint KDE does things. When I fire up Mint 12 KDE it's in a virtual machine for specific tasks and I don't spend a lot of time there to see how things behave, and I don't have things set up there like I do on my main machine so it's hard for me to know how Mint 12 KDE really does things. I wish I could be more helpful for y'all.
ashtonford wrote:they need to put a never choice on the settings like they have in the regular gnome mint releases. You shouldent have to edit files etc to get the screen saver to not activate
As my screenshot shows that setting is available on the GUI, just uncheck the box. If it isn't working then there's a problem elsewhere because one of the great things about KDE over GNOME is that they don't believe in hiding settings from users. it sounds to me like a file got corrupted so folks having this issue can try removing ~/.kde/share/config/kscreensaverrc then going into System Settings > Display and Monitor > Screen Saver and redoing your screensaver settings. That should take care of the problem with KDE not remembering you said not to enable the screensaver.
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 »

thunder422 wrote:I think what he was saying is that the screen saver doesn't work right regardless of the settings. I've noticed the same thing. The screen saver kicks in after 10 minutes. I currently have it set for 30 minutes, but still after 10 minutes it starts. I think even turning it off, it still starts after 10 minutes. Something is broken This worked fine in Mint 10 KDE with KDE 4.6.2. (I'm using KDE 4.8.2 on Mint 12 KDE.)
Regarding this issuse...from man xset:
dpms flags...
The dpms option allows the DPMS (Energy Star) parameters to be set. The option can take
up to three numerical values, or the `force' flag followed by a DPMS state. The `force'
flags forces the server to immediately switch to the DPMS state specified. The DPMS state
can be one of `standby', `suspend', `off', or `on'. When numerical values are given, they
set the inactivity period (in units of seconds) before the three modes are activated. The
first value given is for the `standby' mode, the second is for the `suspend' mode, and the
third is for the `off' mode. Setting these values implicitly enables the DPMS features.
A value of zero disables a particular mode.

You can enter dpms off or or as I did ( I think..have switched distros in the meantime)...or create a script with this line and save it in .kde/autostart
disciple1964

Post by disciple1964 »

I have noticed that there is a lot of people claiming there is a bug that makes Mint 12 or Kubuntu freeze. Can you please back up these claims? What are the specs of your machines, What type of memory and how much memory are you running? What software have you loaded and has it been updated? Before posting something that you heard or read somewhere, Please make sure to backup the information you are posting.

I have been running linux mint 12 since it came out. The only time it has ever locked up on me, was after I installed VBOX with 8mb of ram, because of the way I setup VBOX, and the OS's I was using, it left Linux without much room to run the local OS and it froze. Once I figured that out, I changed the mem in VM's and now I have no freezes.

I am not trying to offend anyone, but I am tired of people who claim to be tech's, complain about a OS without really putting any proof behind their statements. As far as Linux Mint 13 is concerned, If you already have the latest version of Mint KDE, Then just use it, and wait until the next version is ready and is available, geez, people can't be happy with something they just got. Most of us haven't received full usage out of the current version, and you now want to rush to the next.

Use what you have to learn linux better, so when you get to the next version, Maybe you will have enough knowledge to bypass the " so called bugs" you claim are there.
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

Alrighty. So, I was an obsessive compulsive distro hopper till Linux Mint 9 came out. I've stayed happily on the Minty farm now for a while. I have Maya Cinnamon 32-bit installed, and it works just fine. But I also have had Mint 12 KDE for quite a while too. I actually prefer KDE, but the Cinnamon thing does work pretty good. Especially considering how much the Gnome guys pooched version 3. But I digress.

I went to the Ubuntu repos and updated my Mint 12 KDE with KDE 4.8.2. It's a pretty good improvement over KDE 4.7 too. Yes, I believe the polish and finish were lacking on Mint's KDE 12 execution, but I cleaned it up and made it pretty myself. I also just installed Nvidia's 302.17 driver, and this also makes some difference. But I still await the birth of Mint 13 KDE. I'll probably adopt that baby too. I looked at the ISO's at the blog that have been released and I don't want to install any of those betas on any of my production machines yet either. I am getting anxious though. I wonder how close Mint 13 will be in look and feel to Kubuntu? I've tried that, OpesSuse 12.1, Mageia 2 and PCLinuxOS lately on a test machine.

I'm still keeping Mint 12 KDE over the other distros. It'll be interesting to see what 13 will be.

Oh, and one more thing. Fix that darned Sofware Manager!!!!!

:-)
HoppityBob

Post by HoppityBob »

Finally I'm back on KDE. I had installed Mint 13 Cinammon but the dumbed down interface was driving me insane, in particular windows and applications not being able to remember their positions and sizes. I simply can't believe that this doesn't bother a lot of people ?

Some may say Kde is too complex but the plain fact is that nobody is forced to use options if they don't want to, and taking them away in the way that Gnome does simply destroys it for those who do actually make use of those features, they're left with no choice at all. It's utterly stupid reasoning imo. So I've finally figured out I could add Kubuntu backports and install KDE via that and it's working absolutely brilliantly - it's so good to be back on a proper desktop at last !
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

HoppityBob wrote:Some may say Kde is too complex but the plain fact is that nobody is forced to use options if they don't want to, and taking them away in the way that Gnome does simply destroys it for those who do actually make use of those features, they're left with no choice at all. It's utterly stupid reasoning imo. So I've finally figured out I could add Kubuntu backports and install KDE via that and it's working absolutely brilliantly - it's so good to be back on a proper desktop at last !
I know exactly what you mean, HoppityBob. When I rebuilt my laptop with a fresh LMDE install a few months ago I wanted to give MATE and/or Cinnamon a fair try but I immediately missed simple things on KDE like the Run Command Interface and being able to right click on the desktop to start the shutdown procedure.I suspect some folk are so used to how GNOME does things that they have a hard time dealing with KDE and all its options, but I think if people would take the time to see what KDE can do and the things you can disable we'd end up with a lot more KDE users. I just wish the unofficial LMDE KDE respin had come out sooner so I could have installed straight into KDE without having to take the extra steps to install it on top of LMDE.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

BostonPeng wrote:
HoppityBob wrote:Some may say Kde is too complex but the plain fact is that nobody is forced to use options if they don't want to, and taking them away in the way that Gnome does simply destroys it for those who do actually make use of those features, they're left with no choice at all. It's utterly stupid reasoning imo. So I've finally figured out I could add Kubuntu backports and install KDE via that and it's working absolutely brilliantly - it's so good to be back on a proper desktop at last !
I know exactly what you mean, HoppityBob. When I rebuilt my laptop with a fresh LMDE install a few months ago I wanted to give MATE and/or Cinnamon a fair try but I immediately missed simple things on KDE like the Run Command Interface and being able to right click on the desktop to start the shutdown procedure.I suspect some folk are so used to how GNOME does things that they have a hard time dealing with KDE and all its options, but I think if people would take the time to see what KDE can do and the things you can disable we'd end up with a lot more KDE users. I just wish the unofficial LMDE KDE respin had come out sooner so I could have installed straight into KDE without having to take the extra steps to install it on top of LMDE.
Honestly, I have to agree with you. At least for right now, KDE has more options than Cinnamon, and it has a lot of advantages over Cinnamon.

I've used a fairly large variety of desktops, and I think that they all have their pros and cons, including KDE, and those pros and cons are different for different people. There isn't a one size fits all solution (meaning for some people KDE is best, for some people Cinnamon is best, etc). Also, I agree that you really have to try using a desktop before you make a decision. Most of the reasons that someone wouldn't want to use KDE would result form them having not truly given KDE the time. However, the same goes for MATE and Cinnamon. They have some advantages over KDE.

Overall, I strongly agree with the sentiment of taking away options is bad. However, you could look at it in a lot of ways. Examples are:
  • Cinnamon started out with extremely few options, and has expanded to more options.
  • Having all of these desktops means more options - there are options for people who don't want options and options for people who do
  • Gnome Shell took away options, but added the ability to change it in many ways through extensions
  • MATE is, literally, Gnome 2, so it has all of the options that Gnome 2 has.
Sam Poison Oak

Post by Sam Poison Oak »

Its seems that this post should be locked from now on.

Return to “Software & Applications”