Thinking About Fuduntu

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Thinking About Fuduntu

Post by KBD47 »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Thinking About Fuduntu

Post by tdockery97 »

I just tried it about a week ago. Sorry to say I wasn't real impressed.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

The two things that impressed me most were that for a Red Hat based version it was ready to go without a lot of tweaking, and it really feels good on a netbook. I should also add that it uses Fedora's nice installer. But if you are used to Debian based distros nothing feels quite as good or as easy to use. I also would add that the Avant Window Navigator is quite nice.
claudecat

Post by claudecat »

I quite like Fuduntu as a netbook distro, though it's not as light on RAM usage as it could be - I have an Arch KDE install on the same netbook that uses 50-80MB less. I like the default app selection for this purpose (aside from Chromium - I prefer Firefox) and love the jupiter app (also available for 'buntu through ppa), which really does seem to increase battery life. Also, fewt is pretty responsive as to app requests - mc wasn't in the repos until I asked for it; took maybe 8 hours.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

claudecat wrote:I quite like Fuduntu as a netbook distro, though it's not as light on RAM usage as it could be - I have an Arch KDE install on the same netbook that uses 50-80MB less. I like the default app selection for this purpose (aside from Chromium - I prefer Firefox) and love the jupiter app (also available for 'buntu through ppa), which really does seem to increase battery life. Also, fewt is pretty responsive as to app requests - mc wasn't in the repos until I asked for it; took maybe 8 hours.
Yes, Fewt/Andrew seems pretty hands-on with his distribution, and I think that makes a big difference. I read something on Wikipedia about Fuduntu being configured to run some things in RAM that other distros don't, and I'm guessing that's why the screen dims weirdly on occasion and it can run slower. Jupiter app is excellent :-)

Return to “Chat about Linux”