Mint 13 xfce as Live USB (SOLVED)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 13 xfce as Live USB (SOLVED)

Post by Meteor »

I have Mint xfce 13 RC on a Live DVD but need to transfer it to a USB to install it on another computer that has an inoperable DVD drive. The only information for transferring the .iso files to a USB that I've found were from Clem for Mint 12 KDE RC. The "how-to" instructions are available and I've printed them out. For Mint 12 KDE, we are instructed to go to the terminal and enter "sudo dd if=~/Desktop/linuxmint.iso of=/dev/sdx oflag=direct =1048576". When I enter that with the proper changes for "Desktop/linuxmint.iso" and "/dev/sdx", I receive a message saying that the 1048576 isn't acceptable. A query gives me a very lengthy black and white screen of verbiage, none of which seems to make any sense to me...

I'm assuming that the 1048576 is something for Mint 12 KDE RC and needs to be changed. Maybe it's the whole "instruction" that requires revision.

How can I get the Mint 13 xfce download onto a USB drive so it'll run on my other computer?

Meteor
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caribriz

Re: Mint 13 xfce as Live USB

Post by caribriz »

If you were following Clem's tutorial here:
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/744

There was a typo in the original - "bs" in front of the number 1048576 was missing .....
It has now been corrected:

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=~/Desktop/linuxmint.iso of=/dev/sdx oflag=direct  bs=1048576
Edit: The above command works for hybrid iso images - I'm not sure if the Mint 13 xfce rc is a hybrid iso.

If the above doesn't work, you could try unetbootin to make a bootable live usb from your iso.

caribriz
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 13 xfce as Live USB (SOLVED)

Post by Meteor »

Either xfce 13 RC is not a "hybrid" or there is a situation with my download. The check sum matches but writing it to an USB is not working, even with the corrected verbiage to have it do so.

I will not bother at this time but will try again when the non-RC version is available. The Live DVD works fine on both my laptops. The only reason I want to put the .iso on a USB is so I can install it on an older notebook and an older notebook of a friend. My older notebook has the built-in CD-DVD drive failing to read info from the end of the DVD and hanging. It works fine as a Live DVD. My friend's notebook is just a little quirky too but I'm not sure why.

Both those old boys will read, write and install from USB drives.

I'll close this posting as "solved" for now and see what happens with the final release.

Meteor :|
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Meteor wrote:I will not bother at this time but will try again when the non-RC version is available.
If/when you do try again ...

I can confirm that these commands work to create a live usb from the XFCE live dvd and/or the XFCE iso file:

from BrianD Post #7 -
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 09#p607822

To make a bootable live usb direct from the LM13 XFCE RC live dvd - insert live dvd and usb stick ..
if /dev/sr0 is location of live dvd
if /dev/sdb is your usb stick (in my case it was sdb - but double-check your own usb stick location :wink:)

sudo dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dev/sdb bs=4M

OR

to make live usb from iso file

sudo dd if=linuxmint.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
of course, change "linuxmint" to the actual name of your iso file

Thanks to BrianD :)

caribriz
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Meteor »

to make live usb from iso file

sudo dd if=linuxmint.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M

of course, change "linuxmint" to the actual name of your iso file

Thanks caribriz. I was wondering about the number "1048576" not being changed for each version of Mint. I had the feeling that this was not quite right. I never saw anything to say that that number should be changed, however, until now.

When the final edition of xfce 13 is released, I shall try it with the number being "4M" (a capital M) and see what happens. I trust that "they" will not be changing this number to something else. How do I verify the command before attempting to write the final release to a USB? The command doesn't appear to be published in the blog with the download information and mirror sources or is my eyesight failing me...

Meteor
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Meteor wrote:How do I verify the command before attempting to write the final release to a USB?
I don't know. All I know is I tried this suggestion and it worked.
I think this is a "generic" dd command whereas the other command you tried was specific to the hybrid iso.

I remember now I used a similar command a while back to turn a Mint 9 live cd into an .iso file, then made a live usb stick with the resulting iso.
(I had accidentally deleted the original iso file)

I used

sudo cat /dev/sr0 > /home/username/filename.iso
It worked as well.

When you're ready to do it again, I'd just try it as is.

caribriz

Return to “Xfce”