How to get Linux files from Windows

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

How to get Linux files from Windows

Postby Limon on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:32 am

Hi.
I installed Linux Mint 13 from Windows via mint4win. Now in my C: I have a linuxmint folder which is 25GB, Inside that I have folder called disks with a 18gb file root.disk. Im guessing thats where all the linux files are, but how can I copy some documents from Linux over to Windows.

The root of the problem is that I dont have access to Linux Mint. I get black screen on boot, and Ive tried pretty much everything, so I sense thats no longer an option.

If its not possible via Windows, would it be possible if I installed some other Linux based OS?

Thanks.
Limon
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Norway

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: How to get Linux files from Windows

Postby wyrdoak on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:36 am

Why not just use your live CD to access you files and copy them to you windows partition.

EDIT: Not sure if it will work the same as the windows files in the C: dive in Wine but it might be worth a try.
-Dell Mini Netbook-Atom CPU-N270-1.60ghz; 16gbs mini ePCI PATA SSD
RAM- 1gbs-(Maya-Xfce) LInux 3.2.0.57-generic(i686)
SolydX (32bit)
User avatar
wyrdoak
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1313
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 1:32 pm
Location: USA

Re: How to get Linux files from Windows

Postby Oscar799 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:09 pm

Moved here by moderator
Image
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" Husse
Registered Linux User #511789
User avatar
Oscar799
Level 18
Level 18
 
Posts: 8940
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:21 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: How to get Linux files from Windows

Postby viking777 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:34 pm

You might try this:

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

Though I have no idea if it works with mint4win, I guess it should.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
Image
User avatar
viking777
Level 14
Level 14
 
Posts: 5153
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:21 am

Re: How to get Linux files from Windows

Postby oobetimer on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:43 pm

Here is a tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=159&t=21543

PS. If you use Windows 7, the rootdisk situates on /dev/sda2 .. probably (sudo blkid tells).
User avatar
oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:53 pm
Location: Finland / above the Arctic Circle

Re: How to get Linux files from Windows

Postby Limon on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:51 pm

viking777 wrote:You might try this:

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

Though I have no idea if it works with mint4win, I guess it should.


Yeah, I tried that, but all linux files are stored in 1 file, I have access to that file, but I want to "extract" it.

Im trying LiveCD suggestion now, if that fails, Ill try that last guide.
Limon
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Norway

Re: How to get Linux files from Windows

Postby oobetimer on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:57 pm

Limon wrote:
viking777 wrote:You might try this:

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

Though I have no idea if it works with mint4win, I guess it should.


Yeah, I tried that, but all linux files are stored in 1 file, I have access to that file, but I want to "extract" it.

Im trying LiveCD suggestion now, if that fails, Ill try that last guide.


mint4win root.disk is an image, so you have to use Husse´s method .. :wink:

Edit: I tested with my mint4win .. :lol:
Attachments
mounted mint4win-root.disk.png
mounted mint4win-root.disk.png (67.46 KiB) Viewed 2854 times
root.disk.png
root.disk.png (8.09 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
User avatar
oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:53 pm
Location: Finland / above the Arctic Circle

Re: How to get Linux files from Windows

Postby Limon on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:59 pm

oobetimer wrote:
Limon wrote:
viking777 wrote:You might try this:

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

Though I have no idea if it works with mint4win, I guess it should.


Yeah, I tried that, but all linux files are stored in 1 file, I have access to that file, but I want to "extract" it.

Im trying LiveCD suggestion now, if that fails, Ill try that last guide.


mint4win root.disk is an image, so you have to use Husse´s method .. :wink:

Edit: I tested with my mint4win .. :lol:


Yes, that did the trick, and everything was going fine, but then I lost my internet connection and forgot the command to unmount vdisk. Then I figured it would auto unmount when I did shut down. But when I was rebooting, I got error that disk is unaccessible. So now I cant get into my Windows, nor Linux.

Then I tried to get back to my LiveCD to try to unmount (although Im pretty sure at this point its too late for that), but when I try to boot up LiveCD, it starts off normally, and then I get this: timeout killing /sbin/blkid -o udev -p /dev/sda2 or something. What are my chances now?
Limon
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Norway

Re: How to get Linux files from Windows

Postby oobetimer on Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:46 pm

Limon wrote:Yes, that did the trick, and everything was going fine, but then I lost my internet connection and forgot the command to unmount vdisk. Then I figured it would auto unmount when I did shut down. But when I was rebooting, I got error that disk is unaccessible. So now I cant get into my Windows, nor Linux.

Then I tried to get back to my LiveCD to try to unmount (although Im pretty sure at this point its too late for that), but when I try to boot up LiveCD, it starts off normally, and then I get this: timeout killing /sbin/blkid -o udev -p /dev/sda2 or something. What are my chances now?


You have to run chkdsk /F via Hiren´s bootCD or from the safe mode (if it works). Tapping F8 key should let you to the safe mode.

http://www.w7forums.com/use-chkdsk-check-disk-t448.html

Hiren´s BootCD: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
User avatar
oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:53 pm
Location: Finland / above the Arctic Circle

Re: How to get Linux files from Windows

Postby Limon on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:45 am

oobetimer wrote:You have to run chkdsk /F via Hiren´s bootCD or from the safe mode (if it works). Tapping F8 key should let you to the safe mode.

http://www.w7forums.com/use-chkdsk-check-disk-t448.html

Hiren´s BootCD: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/


Hi. Sorry it took so long to reply, but I was unable to boot up anything from my laptop with broken harddrive in.
Now Im home and connected the broken harddrive to my desktop, I can boot up some stuff.

I tried to install Hiren's BootCD, but it fails to boot here for some reason. I tried then Ultimate Boot CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/index.html) which has a ton of software. I tried Active@ KillDisk Free Edition which hang up during wiping, and I tried one more with also hang up.

The drive is showing up just fine in BIOS, and when I try to boot it, it asks me if I want Win7 or Linux Mint, which are the 2 OS I had on there, but if I choose Win7, it hangs up for a bit, and then gives error message that drive is unaccessable, which is the same error I get when running some of these formatting software. Then Win7 error also suggests to me to boot up Windows CD and run 'repair' tool, which also hangs up a bit in.

I cant believe that such 'small' error can lock up and practically destroy entire drive. Is there anything else I could try? Any programs on Ultimate Boot CD? I could of course try them all, but since it hangs up each time, it takes some time to get started with next.

I obviously dont care about any files at that drive now, just want to wipe it so it works again.
Limon
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Norway

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Installation & Boot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: leppen and 16 guests