Hi from the mountains of Utah

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CliffP

Hi from the mountains of Utah

Post by CliffP »

I'm a new newbie to Unix, Linux or any similar OS. I've lived with BIG water cooled mainframes and Windows based PCs for over 30 years . I've always believed the Linux was a great OS but never got my feet wet until a few days ago, I initially installed Ubuntu and it took 3 days to get it running fairly well but MANY problems still remained.

I read about LinuxMint and decided to give it a try. Wonderful --- I had it running better than Ubuntu in just a few hours. I now have a running platform but need some serious guidance from the more experienced that follow these forums. The first thing I need to know is just HOW to post a question to the forum. I've searched and searched but can't find how to do some things. I'm afraid that I have a steep learning curve ahead. Thanks for your patients.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Hi from the mountains of Utah

Post by viking777 »

Welcome on board CliffP.

In response to your first question this might be worth a look:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83314

But the forum is not all rules and regulations, mostly you just need to enjoy the voyage, and even if at times you appear to be sinking without trace, just remember we have all been there before :D

Edit. Sorry for the nautical references, not all that relevant if you live in Utah I would guess :lol:
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the Mint family forums...

asking a question.... try to keep it simple, give as much information as you can and try to pick the correct forum [example.. hardware support, or software and applications] always try to tell us what make/part you are having trouble with and which flavour of mint your using [example M11LXDE, M12 32bit mate, M13 64 bit cinnamon] so a typical hardware question may be... "" i cannot get my broadcom 42 wireless to work, i am using mint julia 32 bit gnome [M10 32 gnome]"" this would be posted in the wireless section of the hardware forum

wizard
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jaderiver »

Hi CliffP...

I am basically a Linux newbie, too, and just wanted to say hello to someone who lives in the Rocky Mountain area where I spent all my childhood summers. My mother grew up in Park City, way before Robert Redford discovered the town for Sundance, or way before there was any high class ski resort... just a silver mining town at the time... a place where my mother and all her siblings couldn't wait to leave. How things have changed.

Anyway, you live in a beautiful area. Now I live on the Oregon Coast... also beautiful.
jaderiver
Last edited by jaderiver on Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 21.2 MATE Victoria No longer dualbooting WIN 7 and surviving
T-Mobile 5G or 4GLTE hotspot
; WiFi/Tether to Android hotspot
CliffP

Post by CliffP »

Hi jaderiver, I hope this post is going to where I hope it it going - it is only my second post, Glad to hear from someone connected to both Utah and Oregon. My wife is from a small town a little South of Portland (Newberg) and when we go back there to visit her family, we always plan for a few days at their beautiful coastal areas. :D

I'm still trying to find my way around Linux but LM13 32 bit Mate has been a big improvement over other flavors that I have put on this machine. It found my dual monitors and found or allowed me to find or configure both of my network attached printers. The tutorials are helping a lot and with the dual screens I can read the tutorials on one screen and in some cases try things on the other. I now have many things running that I was ever able to get running in past attemps. In the past I finally just gave up on Linux because I couldn't get enough running to make it worth the effort to continue trying to learn. I really think that LM13 Mate is my foot in the door and things will just get better.

CliffP

Return to “Introduce Yourself”