Amarok, no mp3 support, ok as root solved

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SomeGuy

Amarok, no mp3 support, ok as root solved

Post by SomeGuy »

Hello,

I'm runny Mint 4, KDE CE Beta 011 (or was it some other Beta number?) with all level 3 updates installed.
I have a problem with Amarok concerning mp3 support. It says unsupported format ("no suitable demux plugin" etc.), at the first attempt (and after uninstall, reinstall) gives me a dialog offering to install mp3 support - with no effect (no gui message, no console output, no mp3 support - nothing). So I ran "sudo amarok" to make sure it has all rights to install mp3 support. Result: suddenly mp3 DOES work. It still doesn't without root mode.

Any idea what's going wrong? Maybe access rights for some library??

Thanks for any help!

Off-topic, not too important:
- The nvidia driver install didn't work for me. As far as I remember, the install script complained about package problems. The installer from nvidia's homepage worked, but I had to edit xorg.conf. However, it messes up my laptop display (white with stripes), external monitor is fine. So currently, I use the nv driver if I need by laptop display. That one has other problems (despite being slow): screen change hotkey crashes the system, X doesn't restart (after logout or ctrl+alt+backspace). - I have a Dell XPS 1530 with an nvidia 8600 GT. - If you have an idea how I can improve things, please let me know. On the other hand, I can live with my current "solution". (Note: in Kubuntu 7.10 the driver installed, but didn't work.)
- "Sometimes" Dolphi is used, sometimes Konqueror. Intended?

Finally:
Despite minor problems, I really like Mint. :-) Have been using Cassandra before (old laptop), but just couldn't quite make friends with gnome (which I do like for internet and media consumption etc., but for productive work, I prefer KDE, which I also use at work).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Amarok, no mp3 support, ok as root

Post by Husse »

I think this solves your Amarok problems
If you are sure you have mp3 support in non-xine applications, all you have to do is install the libxine-extracodecs package:

sudo aptitude install libxine-extracodecs

Now just restart amaroK, and you should be good to go.

If this doesn’t work, you can try running

/usr/lib/amarok/install-mp3

If it still doesn’t work, try running amarok as root. If it successfully plays mp3s when run as root, try this:

mkdir ~/.xine/plugins/ && cp -r /usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.1.4/ ~/.xine/plugins/

That command copies the plugins installed for the root user into your home directory. You should now be able to run amarok like usual (as a user) and play mp3s.
And check that root is not the owner of ~/.kde
Install the latest version of Envy
http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
There was some error in the drivers that have been corrected with newer drivers and the latest version of Envy installs the latest drivers
"Sometimes" Dolphi is used, sometimes Konqueror. Intended?
Remember - it's a beta, the final release will be out any time now I think
SomeGuy

Re: Amarok, no mp3 support, ok as root - SOLVED

Post by SomeGuy »

The first two commands didn't do anything.
The third one solved the problem (1.1.4 replaced by 1.1.7). Thanks a lot!

Sure it is a beta. I did not intend to complain. :-)
Husse

Re: Amarok, no mp3 support, ok as root

Post by Husse »

I did not intend to complain.
Nor did I think you were

Return to “Software & Applications”