Linux Mint 13 KDE RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 13 KDE RC released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 13 KDE RC. Linux Mint 13 KDE New features at a glance: KDE 4.8 Artwork improvements Search engines For a complete overview and to see screenshots of the new features, visit: “What’s new in Linux Mint 13 KDE“. Important info: Quicktime playback in Firefox [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2081
zohall
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 13 KDE RC released!

Post by zohall »

very good news thanks clem
MR-X

Post by MR-X »

Awesome I think I'm going to be testing this RC in a VB, got a thing for KDE, Thanks..... :D

Is the Final Linux Mint 13 KDE going to be LTS?
marco07

Post by marco07 »

Thanks!
When finalized, will I be able to upgrade my fully updated Linux Mint-12 KDE or do I need to have a clean install?
dwasifar

Post by dwasifar »

Is this release based on Kubuntu, or is it Mint 13 with vanilla KDE?
Omar_Swamp

Post by Omar_Swamp »

marco07 wrote:Thanks!
When finalized, will I be able to upgrade my fully updated Linux Mint-12 KDE or do I need to have a clean install?
I have the same question...
rockfish

Post by rockfish »

being newbie, I have a doubt. if this is RC released today, why do we have 305 updates available? cant we have them ingested into the RC ?

I dot get broken links and have tried to installed two times now on a VM.

thanks
rockfish

Post by rockfish »

been trying to install google chrome and it fails all the time.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

MR-X wrote: Is the Final Linux Mint 13 KDE going to be LTS?
like all the mint 13 maya releases (cinnamon, mate, xfce and now kde) this is also LTS.
marco07 wrote: When finalized, will I be able to upgrade my fully updated Linux Mint-12 KDE or do I need to have a clean install?
the safest way is a clean install but check this http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2
dwasifar wrote:Is this release based on Kubuntu, or is it Mint 13 with vanilla KDE?
the mint-kde ed. are based on ubuntu.
rockfish wrote: if this is RC released today, why do we have 305 updates available?
because since the isos were respinned we got software updates, specially kde itself (but not only) that got updated from 4.8.3 to 4.8.4.
oak

Post by oak »

Mint Linux KDE is fantastic. I've encountered no issues. Thanks
MR-X

Post by MR-X »

I haven't had a single issue yet either, seems like a very stable release.........
dwasifar

Post by dwasifar »

zerozero wrote:
dwasifar wrote:Is this release based on Kubuntu, or is it Mint 13 with vanilla KDE?
the mint-kde ed. are based on ubuntu.
I'm sorry, but could you be more specific? Do you mean that they are based directly on Ubuntu without using Kubuntu or other Mint versions?

The way you have phrased it, Kubuntu might or might not have been a step on the way from Ubuntu to Mint 13 KDE.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

dwasifar wrote: I'm sorry, but could you be more specific?
sorry if i wasn't clear, mint maya kde is based upon ubuntu 12.04 precise (you can see some more info here)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

zerozero wrote:
dwasifar wrote: I'm sorry, but could you be more specific?
sorry if i wasn't clear, mint maya kde is based upon ubuntu 12.04 precise (you can see some more info here)
Heh, reading the thread you referenced it appears that the folks posting there really aren't sure what exactly Maya/KDE is based on. :)

According to the release notes and as far as I know, Mint KDE is no longer based on Kubuntu. (it used to be). The current Maya/KDE RC is based on a combination of Ubuntu 12.04, the 3.2 kernel and (some but not all of) the KDE desktop packages that are available from the Ubuntu repositories (4.8.4 after applying updates) plus Mint's own modifications and customizations. The Mint KDE dev team puts it all together rather than attempting to modify the current Kubuntu to Mint's specifications. According to what I've read in the past, this was getting to be too difficult and painstaking to do and it became much easier for the Mint KDE devs to build their own "from scratch" as it were, basing it all on the latest Ubuntu binaries.

If I'm in error on this, please let me know.
Last edited by kmb42vt on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
MR-X

Post by MR-X »

I know Linux Mint 12 KDE is based on Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot),

Here is a thread that may be of interest about the subject

"Whats exacly the diffrence between Mint KDE and Kubuntu." http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 51&start=0
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

MR-X wrote:I know Linux Mint 12 KDE is based on Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot),

Here is a thread that may be of interest about the subject

"Whats exacly the diffrence between Mint KDE and Kubuntu." http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 51&start=0
Yup, that's the same one that "ZeroZero" mentioned. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Allan Parker

Post by Allan Parker »

Linux Mint 13 KDE system requirement.

x86 processor (for both 32 & 64-bit versions) x86_64 compatible processor (for the 64-bit version) 512 MB of system memory (RAM) 5 GB of disk space for installation Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution CD-ROM drive or USB port
disciple1964

Post by disciple1964 »

rockfish wrote:been trying to install google chrome and it fails all the time.
Can you be more specific?

1) what error messages do you get?
2) where are you downloading chrome from?
3) Have you went to software manager and tried installing it from there? if so, what happened?
4) what version of linux mint are you running?
5) Are you installing with SU or just as a regular user?
oboedad55

Post by oboedad55 »

clem wrote:
The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 13 KDE RC. Linux Mint 13 KDE New features at a glance: KDE 4.8 Artwork improvements Search engines For a complete overview and to see screenshots of the new features, visit: “What’s new in Linux Mint 13 KDE“. Important info: Quicktime playback in Firefox [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2081
Thanks Clem, running it here on a crummy WD Green hard drive and it works great. Been using it as my main OS the last few days. I wish I had looked into those "green" drives before I wasted money on them. They are very quiet, but also very slow.
BTW, virtual desktops seem to be MIA.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

oboedad55 wrote: BTW, virtual desktops seem to be MIA.
step one:
- open systemsettings > workspace behaviour > virtual desktops: set the number of desktops you want, enable (or not) the different widgets for each desktop (this will allow you to have different plasmoids and wallpapers in every virtual desktop and give them a name (or not)
step two:
- right click the panel > unlock widgets
- far right of the panel (the cashiew) > click it > add widgets > in the search-box type pager > drag it to whenever you like to (just be careful here because the panel is in edit mode)
- when finished right-click the cashiew and lock widgets again.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”