HOW TO: Install Sun JRE Java on Linux Mint (script included)

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
sagirfahmid3

Re: HOW TO: Install Sun Java on Linux Mint (script included!

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Well, I didn't force people to use or install Oracle Java. It's a choice and people may follow it or not. Some like Oracle Java and some are fine with OpenJDK :mrgreen:
deleted

Post by deleted »

I know you didn't force anyone. I'm just curious to see if you found a difference.

At one time, the only option was to install java from Sun (and update alternatives). Then there was a package maintainer that created it in the nonfree area, but it lagged from the release from Sun. When Sun open sourced it, OpenJDK became basically the release implementation of java from Sun.

As far as I know the OpenJDK is pretty much the same as the one released from Sun. It has a relationship with Sun analogous to Fedora <-> Red Hat Enterprise or JBoss to JBoss Enterprise.

-Hinto
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Not really, no, I haven't found much difference between the two. It's a habit.
I like to think that Oracle Java is better since it's the original, and OpenJDK the derivative.
deleted

Post by deleted »

It's actually reversed now. OpenJDK is original and Sun's is the derivative.
-H
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Hey guys, latest Java is out. Java 7 update 5. Script is still working MUAHHAHA :P
It should work for all the Java 7 updates. Also, I haven't added the parts in the script to remove previous versions of Java. You can do that manually without any ill-effects.

To remove previous versions of Java (thereby saving ~100MB disk space for each version removed), you can simply remove that version by opening your file manager as root and going into /opt/java/{32,64}/ and removing the previous versions. So what you do is, open a run dialog by pressing Alt+F2, then type in "gksu thunar/pcmanfm/nautilus" <--choose your default file manager. Then follow what I said above. So lets say you have Java 7 update 5 (latest) and you also have Java 7 update 4 (older), you can delete that folder that says Java7u4.
nostriluu

Post by nostriluu »

Can you please make it clear this thread is about the Java *****JRE*****. Many people want to install the JDK, where this thread is not helpful.
sagirfahmid3

Re: HOW TO: Install Sun JRE Java on Linux Mint (script inclu

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Done. Thought I already had it in the title but guess not...
unkilbeeg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by unkilbeeg »

Just out of curiousity, why are you putting the plugin link in ~/.mozilla/plugins -- especially if you have more than one user. Go to each user's directory and modify their .mozilla/plugins directory? That's beating yourself to death.

Just put the link in /usr/lib/firefox/plugins and be done with it.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Hmm, I'd rather not do that since I don't have the Firefox from the repository (so I don't HAVE a /usr/lib/firefox directory). I always get the official Firefox from mozilla.org as the firefoxes in the repositories are ALWAYS tainted with stupid mods put by the host Linux distro ( *cough* Mint Search Addon or search plugin mods *cough* ).

What I COULD do is prompt the user where they would like the plugin link (if they are the only user on that computer, or if it's a multi-user system).
unkilbeeg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by unkilbeeg »

OK, I can see that, although I suspect in the general case, most people using those instructions will probably just be using the repository version.

Even if you install the mozilla version, it's going to have a global place to put plugins. If you even have two users, it's simpler to put your plugins thre than in each user's home.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Doesn't work like that. I tried it just now. Made a /usr/lib/firefox/plugins directory, and pointed the Java symlink to it.
Opened up Firefox, put in about:plugins and it's not there.

Like I said, I'll hafta make a prompt because your way doesn't work with the Firefox off Mozilla's site (manually installed).
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:Like I said, I'll hafta make a prompt because your way doesn't work with the Firefox off Mozilla's site (manually installed).
Yes it does. I've used unkilbeeg's method for years with Mozilla's own Firefox. It works if you do it the proper way (i.e. using the alternatives system) and also if you simply create a link in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins or /usr/lib/firefox/plugins.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

grizzler wrote:
sagirfahmid3 wrote:Like I said, I'll hafta make a prompt because your way doesn't work with the Firefox off Mozilla's site (manually installed).
Yes it does. I've used unkilbeeg's method for years with Mozilla's own Firefox. It works if you do it the proper way (i.e. using the alternatives system) and also if you simply create a link in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins or /usr/lib/firefox/plugins.
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins should be enough.

Oracle Java setup in Ubuntu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSyGo_YVNf8&feature=plcp
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Yep, /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins works for me here, but not the other one :?
SimonJ

Post by SimonJ »

Hello, thanks for the tutorial!

I cannot get it to work, though. I' ve followed all your steps and it seems to be working, but in Firefox I cannot find the plugin. This is the output I get when running the script:

Code: Select all

Hi there. I hope you like this script. It is here to make life easier for those
who are having difficulty installing Java manually. As a noob myself at shell
scripting, I have kept this simple and straight forward to use. 
Should you have any questions, or if the script fails to work, 
please let me (sagirfahmid3) know. Also, feel free to improve upon this script 
and don't forget to share it here!

Installation will now start. Do you want to proceed? (Y/N)
<Entering other keys will abort installation>Y
[sudo] password for simon: 
mkdir: cannot create directory `java': File exists
mkdir: cannot create directory `64': File exists
Which UPDATE of Java version 7 are you installing? Type version # & press ENTER
This should be written on the tar.gz archive as jre7-u{#}-linux-x64.tar.gz
IMPORTANT NOTE: For Java updates between 4 to 9, please use 04,05...09 when prompted!
mv: cannot stat `/home/simon/jre1.7.0_05': No such file or directory
mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/simon/.mozilla/plugins': File exists
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package icedtea6-plugin is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 14 not upgraded.
rm: cannot remove `/home/simon/.mozilla/plugins/libnpjp2.so': Permission denied
ln: failed to create symbolic link `/home/simon/.mozilla/plugins/libnpjp2.so': File exists
If the output below matches the version that you installed, all is well
java version "1.7.0_05"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_05-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 23.1-b03, mixed mode)
You can also check manually by opening Firefox and going to about:plugins
Yet another way to check your Java version is by going to http://www.java.com. Click 'Do I have Java?'
I've done it before so thats why the directories are already there. When running java -version I get this:

java version "1.7.0_05"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_05-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 23.1-b03, mixed mode)
So Java seems to be insatlled properly. Only in firefox I don't see it in about:plugins. I'm kind of lost and I thought that maybe someone might know what the problem could be. Im running Mint 13.

Thanks,
Simon
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Do you have Iceweasel by any chance? Anything odd about your Firefox (like did you not install it, you just run it?)
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

Simon,
The line "rm: cannot remove `/home/simon/.mozilla/plugins/libnpjp2.so': Permission denied" suggests this particular item isn't owned by your user but by root. Use

sudo rm ~/.mozilla/plugins/libnpjp2.so
to remove, check the ownership of the directories .mozilla and ./mozilla/plugins (should be 'simon') and create a new symlink with

ln -s /opt/java/64/jre1.7.0_05/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

^^ I didn't want to use root status when deleting files from the home folder; I thought it would be unnecessary, but ok, I'll put a "sudo" before the rm -rf.
SimonJ

Post by SimonJ »

grizzler wrote:Simon,
The line "rm: cannot remove `/home/simon/.mozilla/plugins/libnpjp2.so': Permission denied" suggests this particular item isn't owned by your user but by root. Use

sudo rm ~/.mozilla/plugins/libnpjp2.so
to remove, check the ownership of the directories .mozilla and ./mozilla/plugins (should be 'simon') and create a new symlink with

ln -s /opt/java/64/jre1.7.0_05/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/
Thanks,
I changed the ownership of these directories to simion and created a new symlink but java still doesn't work in Firefox..
yurvol

Mint's Version 6 Update 24 vs current 7 Update 5

Post by yurvol »

So, how far actually behind is Mint 13/Ubuntu's OpenJDK from Oracle Java? Java.com says mine is: Version 6 Update 24
& current is: Version 7 Update 5 ?? Why the lag if it is open sourced?

Return to “Tutorials”