Mint 13 KDE RC - Thoughts

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheRaven

Mint 13 KDE RC - Thoughts

Post by TheRaven »

This morning I installed Mint 13 KDE RC. I wanted to give you guys my thoughts on it. I am a supporter of KDE. For a long time I have used Sabayon KDE. Kubuntu is a disaster!! I have always liked Mint. Just never enough for it to be my only OS. Today I have put it through the ringer. Compositing works perfect. All apps installed without a hitch. Updates went well. Even the look and feel impressed me. I don't know why you called this a 'RC'. This SHOULD HAVE been an official release!!!! This is on my laptop permanently. I loved Gnome 2, Hate Unity, Gnome 3 is too problematic, XFCE is rediculious. KDE is the best choice, and with Mint 13 KDE, I am finally HOME!!!! Excellant Work!!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Adelante

Re: Mint 13 KDE RC - Thoughts

Post by Adelante »

I ran into some crazy kind of graphics issue where kde daemon kept popping up (dozens of times) telling me a new monitor was installed, which wasn't, and I didn't feel like wrestling with it. Even so, I think both LM 13 KDE and LM 13 Xfce are beauties. I'm using Sabayon KDE now, which is also pretty terrific, but when the final LM 13 KDE comes out, I'll definitely give it another shot. I really, really liked it.
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

I loved Sabayon KDE. I think each desktop and laptop has differant issues. I have a Toshiba laptop, and I had so many issues with alot of distros. OpenSUSE wouldn't work at all. Mint 11 and 12 didn't either. And I had too many problems with Fedora. Then I installed Sabayon 8, and it worked perfect, just like Sab 9. I used Sabayon 9, until this morning when I installed mint. I'll always love Sabayon, but for now Mint is my full-time distro.
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

tried it out today wasent impressed. Just more of the same. But not a kde fan .
RJim

Post by RJim »

Can anyone who has used both Mint 12 KDE and Mint 13 KDE give their comments and opinions on the changes from 12 to 13?
Right now I am using Mint 12 KDE and am wondering whether there is any compelling reason to upgrade.

Thanks,

--Jim
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
jediafr

Post by jediafr »

RJim wrote:Can anyone who has used both Mint 12 KDE and Mint 13 KDE give their comments and opinions on the changes from 12 to 13?
Right now I am using Mint 12 KDE and am wondering whether there is any compelling reason to upgrade.

Thanks,

--Jim
I installed aside my trusty ole KDE12 and ran into several trivial issues...detailed below.
I mainly moved to KDE 13 because of the LTS baseline giving me 5 years worth of PPA updgrades without reinstalling !
Kde 4.7 to 4.8.4 is not all that noticeable for my use.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installed from the Rc , seems to work fine (but it didnt install grub, i had to do it after…).
Installation of Nvidia Drivers : Ok
Upgrade after installation : 230 mo (including Kde 4.8.4a !). Ok

It is working reliably so far (no weird freeze like cinnamon…).

I’ve found a bug in KDE wallpaper setting (don’t click ok after apply otherwise you’ll loose the setting).

I also found a upstream bug about network printing with my Samsung printer. after some research the culprit is Cups 1.5.2 (which mishandles IPP functions on many printers Canon, Brother and Samsung mostly).

Till Kamppeter fixed the issue in cups 1.5.3 but it is not yet available upstream.
1) Update from his ppa (below)
Through the web interface (localhost:631) :
2) Delete previous printers
3) install the printer

Here the sources :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/992982
https://launchpad.net/~till-kamppeter/+archive/ppa

NB : another odd thing coming from Upstream, if the sound is is garbled in wine apps, just install ia32-libs-multiarch (even on 32bits systems)
See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2010239
Lord_Eager

Post by Lord_Eager »

Hi all, i'm new in Mint, i'v been using for 2 years Mandriva 2010.2 on my Toshiba nb200 netbook, kde was pretty slow there so i used Gnome2 and it was a pretty stable system that way, pretty fast as well (with effects disabled obviously), even if there were some hardware incompatibility and the famous issues with flash plugins... I installed Ubuntu 12.04 some months ago on my Desktop, i had to remove Unity because it uses a too high amount of CPU res, and put GNOME3 that works fine even if it's nothing special... Then, given that Mandriva is going toward serious community and developing problems, i decided it was not worth to upgrademy netbook to Mandriva 2012, and decided to search a good distro for netbooks... I found Mint was claimed to be one of the best so i decided to give a try... I opted for Mint 13 Maya RC the one you're talking about on this thread, KDE version, because i've always hoped to find a distro suitable of a good working and ligh KDE desktop environment... I installed today and tried a bit of configurations to see the hardware compatibility and on, and i got to say it looks perfect... not almost perfect... really PERFECT... everything works fine... Desktop tasks are very fast to perform with effects disabled, all hardware is well recognized, all function keys work fine, i configured kde mail client and it works very well, and everything looks really nice and really attracting... I have to test many other things and surely there will be some issues as ever with linux distros :-) (i already noticed the "apply" button on desktop settings issue) , but till now it's the best distro i've ever tried, and i say this coming from a fresh install of Precise Pangolin as i said... But after all, i have a question, i notice that many packages miss from Software Manager and trying to get them from repos says that some dependencies can't be installed given the RC version... So i was asking myself, is it possible to use this release fully, maybe adding some unofficial repos or so on, or to have full capabilities we have to wait for official release?
Thanks in advance !

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”