creating users and passwords

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

creating users and passwords

Post by bigbearomaha »

Is there another way to create users with passwords? I have tried add users via the gnome user add app and the kde user too, kde seems to add but the user is not visible on the intro screen. the gnome does add the user but will not accept any passwords, it changes them to 8 carachter words and even then, when I use an eight carachter password, does not accept it.
Any help please?

Big Bear
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Re: creating users and passwords

Post by marcus0263 »

bigbearomaha wrote:Is there another way to create users with passwords? I have tried add users via the gnome user add app and the kde user too, kde seems to add but the user is not visible on the intro screen. the gnome does add the user but will not accept any passwords, it changes them to 8 carachter words and even then, when I use an eight carachter password, does not accept it.
Any help please?

Big Bear
Create user

Code: Select all

sudo useradd -c "any comments" -g user -G video,audio,games,cdrw -s /bin/bash username
Set password

sudo passwd username
It's done, nothing simpler than that.

"man pages" are a wonderful thing

man useradd

Return to “Other topics”