Which Mint version will run best?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PriMax77

Which Mint version will run best?

Post by PriMax77 »

I have Intel Pentium 4 2,6ghz, 1GB RAM and ATI Radeon 9600 graphic card.

Which Mint version will run best (smooth and fast)? I have Mint 13 installed, but there is 1 sec lag on starting apps (especially web browsers), otherwise its running great.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
frsu

Re: Which Mint version will run best?

Post by frsu »

You could try the new Mint 13 KDE as Live CD/USB to see if it is better/faster.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

The LM13 xfce RC runs very fast for me. Very stable, too.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

PriMax77 wrote:I have Mint 13 installed
Please specify your desktop environment too (Cinnamon/MATE/XFCE/KDE/other), we can't guess it :)
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

I run LM13 Xfce

I listened to MintCast a podcast for Linux Mint and they complained about Xfce. The guy said he had an 8gb ram desktop.

Well I installed it on a 32-bit 1gb laptop Dell and my 64-bit 4gb laptop HP. I tried 32-git Cinnamon but it wouldn't install on the 1gb laptop. Could have been the iso but the md5um integrity checked out. I tried 64-bit Cinnamon in the 4gb laptop but it was klunky, slow and it overheated my HD. And when it did run I have to admit that I didn't like the application menu and didn't really care. It is fancy but whatever my HD ran hot. So I went back to Xfce. My observations? IT BOOTS AND RUNS SUPER FAST! I haven't the slightest clue what people are complaining about. I even loaded Cinerella a video program that I couldn't get to work on Xubuntu 12.04. I have had previous success with LM12 Xfce. LM13 w/Xfce takes about 120 seconds to boot up and that includes typing in the login password. I get wifi with it, I have an easy time installing stuff, the internet downloads fast. My HD doesn't overheat. Did I forget to mention, IT BOOTS AND RUNS SUPER FAST! Like I said, I haven't the slightest clue what people are complaining about.

I have the 32-bit & 64-bti LM13 w/Xfce isos saved on an external storage HD.

So for me, LM13 Xfce is the standard until at least April 2017.
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

I think Xfce will run best, because it is lightweight. You can try MATE too, it is the same as Gnome 2. You can also try Mint 12 LXDE, but it won't be supported for 5 years like Mint 13.
PriMax77

Post by PriMax77 »

Im running Mint KDE, I tested Mint MATE. KDE is running faster. I will try xfce also.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

PriMax77 wrote:Im running Mint KDE, I tested Mint MATE. KDE is running faster. I will try xfce also.
:shock: KDE guys have done a nice job then :)
XFCE will probably be somewhat faster.

Actually, I remembered something regarding this:
PriMax77 wrote:there is 1 sec lag on starting apps (especially web browsers), otherwise its running great.
I'm using preload, an adaptive readahead daemon. It mostly helps when you run the same set of apps every day.
Try installing it (the package is also named preload) and see if the startup times change. This might take a few hours and a few reboots though - the daemon needs to get accustomed to your apps. :)
PriMax77

Post by PriMax77 »

I tried KDE, GNOME and XFCE. Im staying on KDE :twisted:

When I tried to install preload in terminal, I got these error message, after typing: ./configure

./configure
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name...
configure: error: in `/home/markux/Dokumenti/Preload':
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

You build it from source?
It is in the repository :D
nomko

Post by nomko »

frsu wrote:You could try the new Mint 13 KDE as Live CD/USB to see if it is better/faster.
The KDE desktop environment is a high-end desktop environment which includes a lot of eye-candy. For older computer such as owned by the topic starter it could be too heavy to run since all these eye-candy as well KDE uses system resources.

@PriMax77
The Intel pentium 4 cpu is a 32-bit cpu. So, at first place there's no alternative than using a 32-bit version of Mint. 1 GB RAM is, for normal use, the minimum. Not only does Mint uses system resources such as RAM, but also every program and application uses system resources. If possible, upgrading your RAM would increase your overall performances but then again, is it worth the investment.... (this is up to you).

Best is trying out a desktop environment such as LXDE or Xfce as others here suggested. If you keep using KDE, than you have to accept the lags due to lower system resources/RAM. KDE is a highend DE with a lot of eye-candy.

My opinion, LXDE is missing some options to become a grown up DE like Xfce. Mate is a good DE, easy and simple but it's a Gnome2 fork. Cinnamon is a nice DE, sort of Mate look-a-like based on Gnome3. But not my cup of tea due to some limitations and that weird hot corner stuff.... drag a window and let is loose...it will automatically expand over the whole screen which i really dislike. I dont want that, so no Cinnamon for me.

But than again, it's your own choice using KDE. The lag you will have to accpet and deal with it i think.
Last edited by nomko on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PriMax77

Post by PriMax77 »

Nomko: thanks. I tried MATE, KDE and XFCE. I ended up at KDE, because it suits me more. I just have to live with some lag :? But there wasnt big difference between DE regarding app lag. I think it is because of my old ATI Radeon 9600 graphic card.

Thanks everyone for hints :)
nomko

Post by nomko »

PriMax77 wrote:I think it is because of my old ATI Radeon 9600 graphic card.
You mean this card:Image???
WOW......didn't know it was still in use. Had a great time using that card. In those days this card was way ahead on Nvidia.

Okay, now i understand the lag. simply a shortcomming of the videocard.
PriMax77

Post by PriMax77 »

nomko wrote:
PriMax77 wrote:I think it is because of my old ATI Radeon 9600 graphic card.
You mean this card:Image???
WOW......didn't know it was still in use. Had a great time using that card. In those days this card was way ahead on Nvidia.

Okay, now i understand the lag. simply a shortcomming of the videocard.
YEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH :wink:
RytronII
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RytronII »

abnvolk wrote:I think Xfce will run best, because it is lightweight. You can try MATE too, it is the same as Gnome 2. You can also try Mint 12 LXDE, but it won't be supported for 5 years like Mint 13.
+1 Xfce.
Husse: "Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it."

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”