Can't hear any sound in new Cinnamon 13

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clay7

Can't hear any sound in new Cinnamon 13

Post by clay7 »

Hello,

I have just installed Mint Cinnamon and have no sound. I tried playing MP3s and Youtube videos, but nothing. I ran an update and upgrade but that didn't help.

Here's my info:

Code: Select all

sudo inxi -A
Audio: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI IXP SB4x0 High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24

Code: Select all

sudo cat /proc/asound/card0/codec* | grep Codec
Codec: LSI ID 1040
Codec: Realtek ALC861-VD

This is on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Can't hear any sound in new Cinnamon 13

Post by remoulder »

Did you install the no codecs version, tried adjusting the global and application volumes, ran the speaker test?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
clay7

Post by clay7 »

Thank you for answer. Yes, I tried all of your suggestions, alsamixer, numerous other sites with suggestions, and untold number of tweaks to "options snd-hda-intel model=x" in /etc.modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf.

Unfortunately, it turns out that my sound card is not supported (ALC861-VD).

This is an older laptop on which WinXP also resides. Sound works as it should in XP, so this problem is unique to Linux.

Any suggestions as to how to create a driver / recompile source code / anything that would work?
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

clay7 wrote:my sound card is not supported (ALC861-VD)
You are not running this card, you need to be searching on ATI IXP SB4x0 High Definition Audio Controller. Does sound work on a live disc?

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
clay7

Post by clay7 »

Ah. Thank you for the correct card. I'll check on that, but for now, I've tried LiveDVDs of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Mint 13 Cinnamon, and Mint 13 Matte, and none have sound. If I plug in headphones and turn the volume all the way up, I can barely hear sound. This goes for LiveDVDs and for the installed Mint 13 Cinnamon. Changing the model in "options snd-hda-intel model=x" makes absolutely no difference as far as getting a whisper out of the headphones.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

clay7 wrote:none have sound. I can barely hear sound
??? So you do have sound, iow the card is working, you just have low volume.
clay7 wrote:Changing the model in "options snd-hda-intel model=x
If you search for the correct card you will find other suggestions. Users are not reporting this card to be not working, headphones seem to be the main issue.

james3mc

Post by james3mc »

I'm having exactly the same issue, very very low sound level.

Audio: Card-1: NVIDIA MCP61 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.25
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV710/730 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series] driver: snd_hda_intel

Codec: VIA VT1708B 8-Ch

And Sound shows no hardware. Weird.
Sound.png

Return to “Sound”