[Solved] Can't move "home" items to rubbish bin

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iain_j

[Solved] Can't move "home" items to rubbish bin

Post by iain_j »

I've just installed Linux Mint 13, with a partition for / (including /home) and one for user data, which is mounted into /mnt/homedata. I created a folder in homedata called "iain" and chown'ed it, then made symlinks for documents, music, etc. from /home/iain to /mnt/homedata/iain.

Now I've started filling it up, I've found when deleting anything from my home folders, I get the warning "Cannot move file to the Rubbish Bin, do you want to delete it immediately?". I get this whether I delete it from the /home folder, or straight from the /mnt/homedata folder.

I searched on Google and found this page which suggests checking the ownership and permissions of /.local/share/Trash, but I can't find this folder (and yes I've turned "show hidden files" on :) ). Where should the folder be? Under /home/iain, under /mnt/homedata/iain, or in the root? Or somewhere else?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
iain_j

Re: Can't move "home" items to rubbish bin

Post by iain_j »

Forgot to add:

Any files I've saved actually in the /home/iain folder, not the linked partition, go to the Rubbish Bin without any warning, it's just files saved within the symlink'ed folders to /mnt/homedata/iain that get the warning.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

It almost sounds like /mnt/homedata is the mountpoint of an ntfs partition. Is this true?

Can you provide the line in /etc/fstab that mounts this partition to /mnt/homedata?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
iain_j

Post by iain_j »

/mnt/homedata is indeed the mountpoint, but it's ext4.

Here's the line from fstab:

LABEL=homedata /mnt/homedata ext4 defaults 0 3
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

And are you the owner of the file you want to delete in /mnt/homedata ?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
iain_j

Post by iain_j »

I own the "iain" folder in "homedata" and everything it contains.

"homedata" itself it still owned by root, the idea being if I add more users, they'll each get a folder in "homedata".

On this point I've just been playing with it, I chown'ed homedata, and it was fixed - I was able to delete things from my home folder and they went into the rubbish bin. "homedata" also now contains a folder called ".Trash-1000" with me as the owner.

So it's fixed in that respect, but I'm not sure how it'll work further down the line if I add more users. Maybe set up a user group which owns "homedata"? I'll play with it further and report back.
iain_j

Post by iain_j »

Sorted it, with help of this page

.Trash-1000 - I thought the number was arbitrary but it corresponds with my user ID.

I deleted the .Trash-1000 folder and put "homedata" back to root ownership so I was back to where I started.

Then I re-created the folder ".Trash-1000" within "homedata" and took ownership of it, and the problem's fixed.

I assume when I create any more users, doing the same with their user ID will work the same.

Return to “Other topics”