Linux and the desktop

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux and the desktop

Post by belovedmonster »

Burning discs is usually fine, you are obviously one of the unlucky few who had an issue with your particular set of hardware.

I would say however that I agree with your sentiments. Linux is about 3-5 years away from being something you can recommend to anyone, both in terms of hardware support and software which is suitable for all audiences. But the good news is once it reaches that point open source has won. Never again will proprietary software create a monopoly or promote closed standards. There will be no turning back! :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

hobbyists operating system?
don't know about that!
I had way more headaches with windows than with mint :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I burn disks with Brasero and have never had a problem. K3b has given me loads of problems though. What application were you using?
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

I used to repair broken windows machines - headache!
Broken Linux system - rarely, and if so the solution is probably in the forums!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Fred

Post by Fred »

mister_mm,

For all of you that think Windows is so good "out of the box," I have a little experiment for you.

Go down to your local computer store and buy a copy of Windows XP in the box. Also, while you are there, purchase a copy of Microsoft Office. Come back home with your approximately $500 worth of software and do a clean install of both on the computer of your choice.

After you have completed this most enjoyable task, create a Word document that contains your social security number, passport number, or other nationally recognized id number. Throw in a few credit card numbers, expiration dates, and pin numbers. While you are at it, a bank account number or two, with pin numbers would be a nice touch too. Don't forget to include the bank names, country and routing numbers too. Be sure to also include your full name, date of birth, address, telephone number, and mother's maiden name.

Now, connect to the internet continuously for 48 hours. Check your e-mail, and surf the web as you normally would. Visit any chat rooms or socializing sites, ie facebook, etc., you usually go to. Download from Utube, music sites or other sites you enjoy. In general, do what you usually do.

At the end of that 48 house, pull the plug out of the wall, whether your system is still functional or not.

Now, sit down in your easy chair and wait for the fireworks to begin! It will be a real learning experience.

Enjoy, :-)

Fred

EDIT: By-the-way, after about six months goes by, try to find a friend that will let you use their computer and internet connection. Please return here and tell us again how good Windows is "out of the box." :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

mister_mm,

Well sir, let's see what we can do about that little problem.

After you are on the desk top, what happens when you try to use the optical drive? Warning message? If so, what?

If you would like to post a copy of your /etc/fstab and a screen shot of Gparted opened, (large please... old eyes), i'll be happy to look at it for you. :-)

Fred

Return to “Open Chat”