[DEAD]unmounting temp filesystems .. FAILED!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wm_domino

[DEAD]unmounting temp filesystems .. FAILED!

Post by wm_domino »

on xfce fresh install (zero changes) of latest respin, during reboot i get the following:

unmounting temporary filesystems...unmount: /var/run device is busy
(in some cases useful info about the process use the device
can be found by isof(8) or fuser(1))
FAILED

any help would be greatly appreciated as i thought this was related to my issues w/ mounting local drives and much more.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Daan

Re: unmounting temp filesystems .. FAILED!

Post by Daan »

Hi,

I am not sure I can help, but more information would be probably helpful to those that can help. First, I don't think that the message pops up specifically during reboot. It probably probably occurs during shut down, independent of whether the machine will reboot. Second, you should have tried the lsof and fuser commands as your computer told you.

Code: Select all

man lsof
man fuser
If the output of a command is too large, you can filter it by appending "|grep searchterm" like

Code: Select all

lsof|grep var
Have fun and good luck!
Regulus74

Post by Regulus74 »

Delete the link folder /run and recreate a normal folder /run than reboot.
wm_domino

Post by wm_domino »

i ran both commands in the terminal, wasn't going to get anything done without some sort of direction - so that went no where.

thanks regulus!! that's the ticket. cut & paste as superuser the files that would go into a new folder, deleted the link run folder, renamed and reboot, no more issue (or warning or whatever that was).

is that in some sort of post install instructions i don't seem to have?
wm_domino

Post by wm_domino »

although the above removes the failed indication on restart - it isn't a real fix because it is not possible to move the /var/run folder to /

2 folders cannot be deleted/copied/moved: lock & shm additionally the entire folder is repopulated on reboot

does anyone have a formal resolution to this?

DEAD - you should be on 17 by now lol

Return to “LMDE Archive”