Upgrade mistake..not sure.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Kilhd

Upgrade mistake..not sure.

Post by Kilhd »

Hello all.. I have been using LMDE for a while now and love it. I was wanting to upgrade Transmission to the latest and I added a line in sources as directed by a 3rd party(and as a linux novice didn't question too much). Well I think I updated everything else also and now my system is "screwed to hell". While it is up-to-date and functional it is NOT in the state I left it in previous. I wanted to know if there was a way to find out what all was upgraded and how to revert back to my old system? The mint menu is gone, Most of my personal settings are gone, when I try to start a "GNOME" session on login I get "oops, something has went wrong: log out" I have to start "GNOME Classic" to get to my GUI now. Any information/help would be much appreciated and thanks in advance! I really don't want to have to re-do my whole system because of all the personalized settings I had.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xircon

Re: Upgrade mistake..not sure.

Post by xircon »

Sounds like your video drivers. Can you post the results of:

Code: Select all

cat /var/log/apt/history.log > temp.txt && gedit temp.txt
Just post the entries from around the time it started to go wrong.

Also what are the specs of your machine? (video card etc.).
Kilhd

Post by Kilhd »

It's quite a bit so I put the temp.txt on my webhost. ( http://www.knology.net/~lyricalsatan/temp.txt )

System is older Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 6gb ram, evga nvidia geforce 210.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Don't know a lot about Nvidia, but it looks like you have upgraded various packages from 280.13-1 to 295.20-1. Check if the older packages are still in your cache:

Code: Select all

cd /var/cache/apt/archives/
ls *280.13-1*
Does that give you a list of packages?

You could try to downgrade with sudo dpkg -i *280.13-1*.deb but you might want to wait for some of the guys with nvidia cards, I only know amd/ati.
Kilhd

Post by Kilhd »

Yes, that gives me a list of packages. I will wait a bit and see if someone with nvidia chimes in. Thanks a lot for the info.
xircon

Post by xircon »

That is good news. Clonezilla is your friend in these circumstances, I make weekly back-ups, so if it screws up, I can restore to a known state. Good luck!

Steve
Kilhd

Post by Kilhd »

"You could try to downgrade with sudo dpkg -i *280.13-1*.deb " A few minutes ago I got anxious and tried this command leading to some error but I missed it as I got frustrated and pushed the reset button. Now all I have is a non-gui login prompt. Can I just "re-install" LMDE and leave my files in tact? or anyone have any other suggestions? :?
xircon

Post by xircon »

Errrr Clonezilla?

Do you have a separate home partition? Then yes, If not boot of a live cd and copy your files to another drive, then reinstall, but create a separate home partition this time.

Return to “LMDE Archive”