"xhost +" in startup apps not security issue?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
billp

"xhost +" in startup apps not security issue?

Post by billp »

I looked in the startup apps to stop something that was running every startup, and noticed "xhost +" as a startup app... Several websites warn that this could be a security risk, so I was wondering if there's a good reason not to disable it?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: "xhost +" in startup apps not security issue?

Post by xenopeek »

xhost + opens your X server (your screen + keyboard + mouse) to be used by other X clients. So somebody could have a program run on their own computer but send output to your screen, and receive input from your keyboard and mouse. Again, the program does not run on your computer or have access to your files.

You can safely disable it in Startup Applications, in which case xhost defaults to "xhost -". You can check after logout/login what the current settings are by running xhost on the terminal. It should output something like:

Code: Select all

access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
SI:localuser:vincent
Important part is that access control is enabled.
billp

Post by billp »

Thanks for the answer. I guess I'm still curious why it was in startup apps in the first place. I checked my linux mint live cd, and it was there also. Is it standard with linux mint 13? If so, why?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint comes by default with connectivity options enabled, giving the best out-of-the-box experience on the local network to new users by allowing remote desktop support, connecting to network printers, sharing files with others and more. Xhost + is part of those connectivity options. Your Internet router's firewall will block any attempt from outside the local network (i.e., the Internet) to reach your computer. So even with this service running, unless you specifically configure your Internet router's firewall to allow traffic from the Internet to go to this service on your computer, you are not at risk for remote attackers. This goes for all connectivity options (see here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 77#p600177).

There is only a possible security issue with running the X server without access control on the local network. If you are on a public local network (like a WiFi hotspot somewhere outside your home), I recommend enabling Linux Mint's firewall, and setting it to default deny incoming traffic. This will protect you on the local network also, unless you specifically configure a port on your computer to be reachable by others in that firewall.
billp

Post by billp »

Thanks very much for that explanation.
eighthave

Post by eighthave »

This is a really disappointing situation. I am a big believer in making things easier to use, that's why I just switched from Ubuntu to Mint. But this seems to me an egregious lapse in security, the kind that I only expect from Microsoft. It leaves Mint installs easily targeted by automated malware since its on by default, and will make it pretty easy for someone to make a malware botnet for Mint. Sure most people use their computers behind NATed routers, but many if not most people will also use their laptops on public wifi. And many universities use public IP addresses for all of their networks. Additionally there is some well known malware that gains control of consumer routers, so you can't really trust NATed networks either. And then there is targetted attacks...

If you are insistant that Mint include "xhost +" in its default config, at the very least the firewall needs to be on and blocking the relevant ports by default.
eighthave

Post by eighthave »

I looked around a bit more and it doesn't look quite as bad as I originally though. It seems that the Xserver is configured with TCP connections off:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/X :0 -audit 0 -auth /var/lib/mdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt8
Therefore, as far as I know, remote connections aren't allowed even with xhost + So my guess is that means that this is much less of a security risk since things can only connect to the X server via UNIX sockets, but it does increase the risk of local programs running keyloggers or getting root access via exploits in the X server.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

There is basically no security in Xserver: for example, run "xinput --list" in a console, read the line which designates the ID of your keyboard, then run "xinput --test (keyboard ID)" and you will be logging all keypresses in all X apps, including those made under either a root account or sudo in another Xterm ;)
SamuraiMark

Post by SamuraiMark »

eanfrid wrote:There is basically no security in Xserver: for example, run "xinput --list" in a console, read the line which designates the ID of your keyboard, then run "xinput --test (keyboard ID)" and you will be logging all keypresses in all X apps, including those made under either a root account or sudo in another Xterm ;)
That is not a demonstration of "no security in Xserver". Of course you have full access to whatever is happening on your own X desktop, including terminal windows you have opened, whether they are running as root or otherwise.

- Mark

Return to “Beginner Questions”