No compiz effects on Maya x64

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jade Tiki Puku

No compiz effects on Maya x64

Post by Jade Tiki Puku »

I have Maya on a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 which has Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M graphics. I have tried to enable some eye candy but to no avail. All new Linux distros will not enable this graphics card at all, Suse 12.1, Ubuntu 12.4, Mint 13 and Ultimate 3.4 will not let me have any eye candy. Earlier distros are good, Suse 11.4, Mint 11, all fine.
How can i get some eye candy people?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: No compiz effects on Maya x64

Post by zerozero »

please open a terminal and

Code: Select all

sudo inxi -U
(this will update inxi to the latest version)
then

inxi -GxSxxx
(copy&past the output here)
Jade Tiki Puku

Post by Jade Tiki Puku »

Thanks for that zerozero, but I am not sure what you mean about the command Gx5xxx, do you mean my graphics card is an Nvidia GT5200 one? It is a G86 one, or am i missing something? I am not up to speed with the command line.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

on the second step just copy&past the code into the terminal (it's a capital S not a 5 (five) )

inxi -GxSxxx
Jade Tiki Puku

Post by Jade Tiki Puku »

I must be rather stupid, I have no idea what you mean. Where do you get this Gx5xxx code from? What is it?
cowsquad

Re: Re: No compiz effects on Maya x64

Post by cowsquad »

Jade Tiki Puku wrote:I must be rather stupid, I have no idea what you mean. Where do you get this Gx5xxx code from? What is it?
I am running Maya mate 13 (32 bit )and compiz works great. I get nice effects and animations
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Jade Tiki Puku wrote:I must be rather stupid, I have no idea what you mean. Where do you get this Gx5xxx code from? What is it?
let's see if we can do this:
- open a terminal;
- enter in there the text i'm giving you below (one line each time)
- the third letter is an capital s, not a five
- now give us the resulting output from the terminal
cos667

Post by cos667 »

Hi guys,

Same compiz problem here - effects don't work. I want to have "Wobbly Windows".
I have an Ati Radeon 7870 running with ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver.

inxi - U say "Successfully updated to svn server version: 1.8.17"
inxi - Start "CPU~Quad core Intel Core i5-2550K CPU (-MCP-) clocked at 1600.000 Mhz Kernel~3.2.0-23-generic x86_64 Up~1 day Mem~2032.3/11974.4MB HDD~3510.7GB(83.8% used) Procs~201 Client~Shell inxi~1.8.17"

Can someone help please ?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

cos667,
give us then please the output of

inxi -GxSxxx
cos667

Post by cos667 »

Hi zerozero,

The output is:

mintwkst tmp # inxi -GxSxxx
System: Host: mintwkst Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.6.3)
Desktop: Cinnamon 1.4.0 dm: mdm Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 6818 bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.org: 1.11.3 drivers: fglrx (unloaded: vesa,fbdev) tty size: 161x44 Advanced Data: N/A for root
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

cos667,
just for reference you shouldn't use inxi as root (unless you are updating it with the inxi -U flag because the results are not the same)
but even so we have the information we need: you are using cinnamon and compiz is not compatible with it.

cinnamon has some built-in effects but if you really want/need compiz you should try mate.
cos667

Post by cos667 »

Hi,

thanks for the info.
From what i read on the forum i would prefer to stick with cinnamon, for stability, and the attention given to it by the Linux Mint team.
But nevertheless it would be nice to have this effect on cinnamon, in the future.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

This is a little old, but you could try KDE. Very similar to Compiz. Has wobbly windows, desktop cube, exploding windows etc. I thought you may be concentrating on Compiz and not realize KDE was very similar. I am running Mint 13 KDE 64 bit with KDE upgraded to 4.9.0. It all work fine.
antiplex

Post by antiplex »

zerozero wrote:...you are using cinnamon and compiz is not compatible with it.

cinnamon has some built-in effects but if you really want/need compiz you should try mate.
zerozero, that was the hint i've been looking for wondering why whatever i try to set in compizconfig-settings-manager these settings seem to get entirely ignored.

in my case,

inxi -GxSxxx
lists
'System: Host: plex Kernel: 3.2.0-31-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Redwood PRO [Radeon HD 5500 Series] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: vesa,fbdev) Resolution: 2560x1440@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD REDWOOD GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
'

so it would be interesting for me to understand better what cinnamon does here; is it using compiz at all but with like frozen settings? i assume there is no way of configuring effects/setting cinnamon uses (e.g. change key-combinations or animation speeds)? i'd be fine with managing such settings through config-files or the like but i havent found the right switches so far as it seems.
any hints?

one thing i miss in particular is the 'enhanced zoom desktop' for instance which helps a lot when needing to work on pixel-level...

regards,
anti
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hi antiplex,
first rule :lol: if you are using cinnamon just run away from anything compiz-related as far as you can :mrgreen: muffin (cinnamon's wm) doesn't play well at all with compiz.
antiplex wrote:is it using compiz at all but with like frozen settings?
cinnamon uses some compiz-like effects
antiplex wrote:(e.g. change key-combinations
this i believe that you have to change in system settings > keyboard for now but in 1.6.3 you'll have a section in cinnamon settings https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/i ... nt-9638827
antiplex wrote:one thing i miss in particular is the 'enhanced zoom desktop' for instance which helps a lot when needing to work on pixel-level...
not yet in cinnamon but very soon (with 1.6.3) see >> https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/i ... nt-9635189

cinnamon 1.6.1 is now available in maya through romeo http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2177, 1.6.3 is atm tagged to nadia but will be backported to maya and lmde as well (this version or the current at the time)

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”