Network Manager Connection Editor/Settings

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
finjs

Network Manager Connection Editor/Settings

Post by finjs »

In LMDE/Xfce, the Network Manager Connection Editor (nm-connection-editor) doesn't appear to be included in the Settings menu.
As far as I could make out, nm-connection-editor can only be launched by managing VPN connections from the panel. Or as a command.
Can nm-connection-editor be added as an item to the settings menu? How?
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Network Manager Connection Editor/Settings

Post by DrHu »

If you mean netmanger settings, I would think so for a pre-configured application, but as a launcher, you should be able to create that
--check how it runs, and fill in the create a launcher item setting to match, play around a little and you should be able to get it running: you can always check other applications that run from the OS menus (applications items..) to see how one that launch are loaded (the settings being used..)

Another option might be one of the Linux IP diagnostic/monitoring programs that usually allow changes to the network settings (for monitoring/control) purposes..
finjs

Post by finjs »

Thanks DrHu. In the LMDE/Xfce version, there is no way to edit network connections in the Xfce Settings default menu. The couple of applets in the System menu, namely Network and Network Tools, doesn't do that.
Editing the network connections can (only?) be obtained from the panel by clicking on the network icon and selecting the "VPN Connections/Configure VPN..." items. I had to look up at the running processes before figuring out the name of the relevant applet is "nm-connection-editor".
I believe that applet could also sit in the Xfce Settings menu. I'm not familiar with Xfce still. I'm just assuming there might be a simple way to do that without doing it the hard way in a Terminal. Something like right-clicking on "nm-connection-editor" and sort-of-selecting an "Add to the Xfce menus/Settings" item in the image of "Sent To/Desktop".
finjs

Post by finjs »

To whom it may concern.

I previously noted the Xfce Settings menu missed the Network Manager Connection Editor and that it should be there. Well, in fact, it IS there but it's hidden.

To make it show up, just go to the /usr/share/applications folder and open nm-connection-editor.desktop with gedit. Take the line OnlyShownIn=GNOME off and nm-connection-editor will immediately find its right place in the Xfce Settings menu. It seems Xfce and GNOME aren't clearly separated yet. There are a few desktop files (sometimes duplicated) that are mixture of both environments.

Also, if you feel like editing your Xfce menu, open the desktop files of the applications you want to move/remove and change their categories. Changes are real time, you can check right away on what you did, and undo any wrong modification.

I've tidied my Xfce menu up: Missing applications added, no more duplicates in different menus, no more wrong categories, no more wrong icons, etc. Now my Xfce menu makes sense... At least to me.

Return to “LMDE Archive”