Will a 10 GB partition handle Linux Mint?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred

Re: Will a 10 GB partition handle Linux Mint?

Post by Fred »

Reclaimer,

The short answer to your question is yes, some but not a lot. :-)

You will just be limited with the amount of data you can have in your /home directory. If you plan on collecting the top ten full length movies in there, forget it. :-)

A fist full of documents, a few songs, and a few pictures, you are good to go!

Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Reclaimer,

That is really hard for me to say. You will have a swap partition that should be about twice the amount of your physical ram, with the total of the physical ram and swap not to exceed 4 Gig. As an example, if you had 2 Gig of ram you would have a 2 Gig. swap partition. 1 Gig. of ram would still be a 2 Gig swap partition.

The rest of the install will probably be about 5 Gig. total, if you put it all in one partition.

That brings you up to 7 Gig. leaving 3 Gig. of storage space. Your guess about your data storage needs and add on programs has got to better than mine. :-)

Hope that helps a little,

Enjoy,

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

Reclaimer,

Hang on. Do you already have Ubuntu on your machine? If so, do you have a swap partition? If you already have a swap partition you don't need to make another. Both distros can use the same swap partition.

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

muskratmx,

Oh, ok, I was about to be confused.... again. :-)

I think he was saying he was only using 10.3 Gig on his other install. So he obviously doesn't have a lot in it, for a main OS.

I didn't say how much space I was using... I don't think. But that varies from day to day depending on what I have where at that time.

It is just not possible for me to know how much space he will need in /home. I have tried reading tea leaves, esp, and sooth sayers. And all I get is a headache. :-)

Thanks for correcting me before I got totally confused. :-)

Fred

Post by Guest »

Why do you want Ubuntu and Mint Don't make sense. I could understand Mint & BSD or something not Debian. What you are doing is like having a Dual boot 32bit XP and 32bit Vista Why. I recommend you install the live CD click install guided use entire disk.or why not use 30gigs stil leaves 90 for Ubuntu. Better yet get a second HDD and put all your data on that then you can access it from Ubuntu and Mint

Return to “Installation & Boot”