Youtube and similar on fast-forward?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nihilist

Youtube and similar on fast-forward?

Post by Nihilist »

every site like Youtube i have tried since i upgraded to mint 13 64bit cinnamon is soundless and on fast forward it appears. this has never been an issue before with mint. all updates have been applied. my box is a 2ghz 64 bit amd processor with 4g ddr2 ram. any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Total_Blue
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Youtube and similar on fast-forward?

Post by Total_Blue »

Nihilist wrote:every site like Youtube i have tried since i upgraded to mint 13 64bit cinnamon is soundless and on fast forward it appears. this has never been an issue before with mint. all updates have been applied. my box is a 2ghz 64 bit amd processor with 4g ddr2 ram. any help would be appreciated.

Check your sound configuration to make sure your sound card is configured properly. I was having the same problem and noticed that my system had defaulted to using the HDMI output on my graphics card for sound rather than the sound card. After disabling the HDMI, and configuring the built in audio to 5.1 surround, it started working for me again.
craig100
Level 3
Level 3

Post by craig100 »

I'm having the same problem I think. All Flash FlowPlayer videos and some others run at fast forward for parts of the show. They change between normal speed and much faster then back again. Banshee and Rhythmbox both skip like crazy when listening to MP3's. Was never like this with MInt 12 x64 Cinnamon. Running Mint 13 x64 Cinnamon. Can we expect a fix before too long? It's a major embarrassment when showing off to the Windows and Mac crowds.
mentita

Post by mentita »

total_blues' explanation solved for me the problem.

just go in the menu to system tools > system settings ---> sound
and switch under hardware the wrong (or not functioning) graphiccard driver off (in my case was it the HDMI Radeon HD somethingsomething)

here same thing:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=107228
craig100
Level 3
Level 3

Post by craig100 »

I have no issue with sound, it's just the video's play at seriously variable rates. Start speed x2 or3 then back to normal for a minute then off again. Have NVidia GeForce 9600 GT/PCIe/SSE2 card. Using the recommended driver on a dual screen set up Mint 12 x64 Cinnamon. I doubt it's the video card, probably more likely to be codecs. Are there any updates coming as i'm obviously not the only one with this problem?
mentita

Post by mentita »

yep... sounds like more or less the same problem... ^^

somehow drivers get mixed up. for the sound it uses the HD graphic driver and this generates the fastforwarding in the movies... (for me was the same in youtube)

its like magic... hrhrhr
Yyrkoon

Post by Yyrkoon »

Thanks to Total_Blue my problem is now solved. I thought it was the plugins and the Flash version. Then I found that Quicktime movies had the same speed problem and no sound. Lo and behold my output was set to HDMI and I changed it.

Yyrkoon
vivaelgato

Post by vivaelgato »

THANK YOU Total_Blue. What an odd quirk...I never would have thought of this solution in a million years. I'm serious. I spent like two hours trying various versions/configs of flash to correct this issue.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

In sound settings choose analogic stereo instead HDMI digital sound, and done.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon

Return to “Sound”