HOWTO: Improve Font Rendering in LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jcoleman
Level 1
Level 1

Re: HOWTO: Improve Font Rendering in LMDE

Post by jcoleman »

Update - the script helped things look better in general but after using LibreOffice Write my eyes were going goofy on the thin characters (getting the bleed around l's and i's etc - looked red on my monitor - can't remember the technical term)

Played with "appearance preference" settings and in "font rendering details" ended up with
"smoothing - grayscale" "hinting - slight" "subpixel order - VBGR"

I have an LCD - Acer V223w, 22", @ 1680 x 1050 (low end)

It's not perfect but it made it much better

seems like someone previously mentioned the "grayscale and slight" but for my LCD the subpixel order made it better also
barryp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barryp »

Thanks Ikey!

FF fonts were really mucky after the last upgrade but this fixed it. A few things disappeared but shutting down & booting up again solved that. Appearance of many things much improved. :D
bwat47

Post by bwat47 »

After using this I can't seem to change my font sizes anymore. i.e. changing font size from 10 to 11 in appearence or in gconf does nothing at all. changing hinting settings and such does though. anyway to fix this?
bwat47

Post by bwat47 »

nevermind it seems to be a problem with the mintx theme :/
toketin

Post by toketin »

bwat47 wrote:nevermind it seems to be a problem with the mintx theme :/
Yes I confirm it is a problem with Mint 's theme, does anyone know why using Gdm i obtain a perfect rendering of fonts, instead if i use Slim for example i don't?
hal9000jw

Post by hal9000jw »

I have tried some of the solutions that are mentioned in this thread. Ultimately, the information in the link below worked for me. I am using LMDE 201204 Xfce 32-bit...

http://livelinux.altervista.org/Guida_L ... stare_font
terdon

Post by terdon »

I must be missing something obvious but I cannot find the actual HOWTO this thread seems to be in answer to. Where is the wonderful script you are all referring to? The first page of this thread, for me, is:
gotjazz wrote:uhm I'm not sure if and how that can be related but since I ran this script I cannot open the appearance settings tool anymore. Trying to do so only opens a blank window with invisible (but existing) borders that - judging how long I dragged it to one side - seems to have unlimited width
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Best font fix I've found for Debian:
Ubuntu fonts in Debian:
http://noz3001.wordpress.com/2011/07/01 ... an-wheezy/
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

terdon wrote:I must be missing something obvious but I cannot find the actual HOWTO this thread seems to be in answer to. Where is the wonderful script you are all referring to? The first page of this thread, for me, is:
gotjazz wrote:uhm I'm not sure if and how that can be related but since I ran this script I cannot open the appearance settings tool anymore. Trying to do so only opens a blank window with invisible (but existing) borders that - judging how long I dragged it to one side - seems to have unlimited width
The user who created this tutorial is no longer on the forums and his posts are also gone. As such the thread does not make logical sense. Because of this, I am locking the topic.

If somebody has a copy of the original script, please feel free to start a new tutorial with it included.

Return to “LMDE Archive”