[SOLVED] Repositories in Synaptic

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wmeler
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Repositories in Synaptic

Post by wmeler »

Upon running "sudo synaptic" as administrator, when I go under "Repositories," I cannot add the maya distro. It's very odd, because I *think* I used to be able to do so. When I click Add, I give the following APT line:
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ maya main

In other words, I copy paste what it gives in the prompt. Oddly enough, through a browser, I can actually reach http://packages.linuxmint.com/dists/maya/
Stranger still, I can add other distros. For example, I added the quantal distro at http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/

Baffled. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
My posts:
search.php?search_id=egosearch

Linux Mint 21 (Vanessa) - Cinnamon
ardchoille

Re: Can't add the Maya distro in Repositories but can add ot

Post by ardchoille »

Be careful about mixing repos from different distros and versions. You could end up with an unstable system.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

Which release are you running currently?

If it's a Mint release, the main repo always shows up in the LinuxMint Software tab, not the Other Software tab. It'll show as a series of checkboxes for the various repos like Main, Contrib, etc, and the server you're using will be shown in the dropdown list under the checkboxes.
wmeler
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wmeler »

Ardchoille, Thanks and appreciated. Been using linux since 2003, and yeah--you're right.

Squeezy, Not sure how I didn't actually notice that that tab is specifically for LinuxMint. Thanks.

On second thought, I kind of do know how. Two new questions:
1) On my other laptop, for some reason, when I bring up Repositories, it comes up not as a bunch of tabs, but as a sort of spreadsheet-like chart where you can add or remove distros (and check them on/off like I can do in this "tabbed" version).
So...question...how do I get that chart version? (On my other laptops, it just shows maya like any other distribution.)

2) How can I tell that the "LinuxMint Software" tab is for maya specifically vs. some other LinuxMint distro?
My posts:

squeezy

Post by squeezy »

wmeler wrote:So...question...how do I get that chart version? (On my other laptops, it just shows maya like any other distribution.)
If you want the chart look you can remove the package called software-properties-gtk.
wmeler wrote:2) How can I tell that the "LinuxMint Software" tab is for maya specifically vs. some other LinuxMint distro?
You can't really from that app, AFAIK. You can make an educated guess by knowing which release you installed :D Looking at the Other Software tab will list the Ubuntu repos that are associated with that particular Mint release, like Precise Pangolin for Mint 13 Maya.

The easiest way to tell is to look directly at the /etc/apt/source.list file. That's the file that's being parsed by the Software Sources app.
wmeler
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wmeler »

Thanks, that was helpful, especially telling me which file was being parsed. Have a good one.
My posts:

Return to “Chat about Linux”