If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you use?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BubbaBlues

Re: If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you use?

Post by BubbaBlues »

Zorin I really like Zorin because it's in a class by itself with the zorin d.e. and it's very solid and user friendly.
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Meteor »

If that should occur, I would venture over to SolusOS. I've been "playing" with the Live DVDs of Eveline and 2 A5 and am quite impressed. Both of them run very well on my main notebook and appear to be nicely setup with all the programmes that I regularly use. Ikey and his team have a big job ahead of them and seem to be up for it.

However, until version 2 is finalized, I'm staying with Mint 13 MATE (or moving to xfce when it is finally released). It would be heartbreaking to have Mint disappear. I've been using Mint for the past 5 +/- years. I guess I am green in colour, eh!

Meteor
RJim

Post by RJim »

I'm a KDE fan, so I'd probably move to Chakra Linux.
Mint still seems to have a friendlier and more helpful community for a learning newbie such as myself though. :D

--Jim
ctarx

Post by ctarx »

Hmm Ubuntu again or I would try Arch Linux.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

MALsPa wrote:And, I'll never go back to running only one distro. The way I figure it, I didn't like being tied down to only Windows, so why should I tie myself down to any one Linux distro?
It is further necessary there are several distros suitable... I mean, many distros are just bad and/or buggy, others have some intellectual and/or politics, even security, problems etc Actually, but it's just my personal view of course, there are not so many distros really usable as a stable and main system for working. A PC is a tool to have your work done, not a toy.

By the way, my box told me today: "I'm not a toy, I'm not a number, I'm a free Personal Computer and I'm here to help humans to do their works"... I hope I have translated well because it spoke in French. :? :lol:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

linuxviolin wrote:It is further necessary there are several distros suitable... I mean, many distros are just bad and/or buggy, others have some intellectual and/or politics, even security, problems etc Actually, but it's just my personal view of course, there are not so many distros really usable as a stable and main system for working. A PC is a tool to have your work done, not a toy.
There might be a lot of distros that are usable "for working." It depends on what work you're trying to do, I guess.

And, for lots of people, a computer is a toy as well as a tool. Ever notice that most distros include games and multimedia apps?
cowsquad

Re: Re: If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you u

Post by cowsquad »

/dev/urandom wrote:In a world of BSD, who needs Linux?

Etc. etc.
Troll troll. Linux vs windows is like android vs iPhone Linux/android win :-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

MALsPa wrote:Ever notice that most distros include games and multimedia apps?
Like Windows has Minesweeper and other, maybe... :roll: :wink:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
/dev/urandom

Re: Re: If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you u

Post by /dev/urandom »

cowsquad wrote: Troll troll. Linux vs windows is like android vs iPhone Linux/android win :-)
I agree with the part until "iPhone".

If there was a best OS, everyone would use it. There is not. Additionally, everyone has different wishes what his OS should be like.
veggen

Post by veggen »

I think I'd go for Bodhi. It's semi rolling, it's Ubuntu based and Enlightenment is kind of cool. Or I'd simply install Ubuntu and add Cinnamon and stuff...
cowsquad

Re: Re: Re: If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would y

Post by cowsquad »

/dev/urandom wrote:
cowsquad wrote: Troll troll. Linux vs windows is like android vs iPhone Linux/android win :-)
I agree with the part until "iPhone".

If there was a best OS, everyone would use it. There is not. Additionally, everyone has different wishes what his OS should be like.
Your avatar picture looks like you hate Linux man :-) I honestly like windows too. I do agree with you on the "everyone has different wishes about his/her OS" part.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Staffy

Post by Staffy »

I have spent the last month deciding which distro to use for my main desktop, which was obviosly Mint. Close runner ups were Sabayon & Chakra.
/dev/urandom

Re: Re: Re: If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would y

Post by /dev/urandom »

cowsquad wrote:Your avatar picture looks like you hate Linux man :-)
I know we are slowly diving into OT, so only one short reply: No, I don't, I just like BSD. :D
nextdistroplease

Post by nextdistroplease »

I would go with a pure Debian LXDE (even today) if I could get the Universal Operating System to play nice with the deprecated wireless WEP connection I am forced to use.

Even with the non free firmware, Debian can see the networks, but only responds with "Failed to obtain IP Address" or "Incorrect Password."

Otherwise, I'd go with Lubuntu, in spite of the numerous system errors it gave me. It has a fast Openbox Session, and you can install wine without somersaults.
mack_mcash

Post by mack_mcash »

Definitely, SolusOS. :wink:
munin

Post by munin »

When Solus 2 is final I will have that dualbooted with Mate. So no problem. Seems they will either have the Ubuntu or Debian installer, so it will not be necessary to waste time with complicated partition tools.
hoppimike

Post by hoppimike »

At this point... probably Lubuntu :)
manuleka

Post by manuleka »

i would go with Kubuntu 1st choice or Chakra as 2nd choice

i use Ubuntu Forums due to the response time i get there... but LinuxMint Forum is growing and responses are a lot more promptive now
yonnie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yonnie »

I'd stick with PCLinuxOS, has a nice monthly magazine plus forums. I also like Antix, SolusOS and Scientific Linux, kind of a toss-up if LM went away.
We are children of children and do as we are shown.
-James Curran
famicommander
Level 1
Level 1

Post by famicommander »

Xubuntu, Fedora, and Mint are the three distros I always switch between. Without Mint it would just be Fedora and Xubuntu, but I don't think I would mind. Functionally Mint with MATE isn't too different from Xubuntu.

I like Xfce, LXDE, and MATE. Any distro that offers a good selection of software and a reasonable implementation of any of the three DEs would be fine for me. I can use KDE and Cinnamon as well but I am not a huge fan. I hate GNOME 3 and Unity with a passion.

Return to “Chat about Linux”