How fast is Mint 13 Xfce VS other lite distros In a VM?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ElectricRider

How fast is Mint 13 Xfce VS other lite distros In a VM?

Post by ElectricRider »

I don't know that I need all the features and programs that comes with Mint 13 Xfce. I want to stay away from slackware or distros for power terminal users but I need a super fast lite distro to run from a Virtual Machine (VirtualBox)- to host an online game through. It's a MUD - Multi User Dungeon - text based game. I need something that will be super fast and efficient while still giving me some programs I might need to communicate with MUD coders like IRC web browsers and such. For everything else, i'll just minimize the VM. This will be running under Windows 7 64 bit.

Would it be possible for me to make the distro even lighter and faster by getting rid of stuff I don't need and still have all the core stuff I like about Mint? It's got to be fast and lite on resources considering I'm actually going to host an online game through a VM and windows. If you think another distro will suit my needs better, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Oh and it Must have VM mouse integration support. I tried using vector Linux which i like a lot for speed but it has no mouse integration support so it's causing me problems.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: How fast is Mint 13 Xfce VS other lite distros In a VM?

Post by nunol »

A mint distro lighter than Mint 13 XFCE LTS? Sure, LMDE XFCE or Mint 12 LXDE.

You can get Mint 12 LXDE even lighter, check the PDF file at the top of the thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=96465

If that is not light enough you have to try other distros like Lubuntu 12.04, Debian 6/testing/sid LXDE or a minimal netinstall of Ubuntu or Debian with only the necessary packages.

Return to “Other topics”