Menu takes longer to load than rest of desktop

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
alexk2444

Menu takes longer to load than rest of desktop

Post by alexk2444 »

Whenever I boot into LMDE, the menu takes significantly longer than everything else to load.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sonsum

Re: Menu takes longer to load than rest of desktop

Post by Sonsum »

Are you using MATE? I've noticed this on my netbook in MATE (I use Gnome 3 on my regular machine).

I don't really consider it a problem, it's just a minor fake out because you think the system is finished booting before it really is.
alexk2444

Post by alexk2444 »

So if the system is still loading, would maxing out my ram help?
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

I don't believe so and I don't think it's really a memory problem. Perhaps could you describe your problem a little more detailed? Frankly, I don't really see an issue.
nomko

Post by nomko »

I noticed it also. Rebooting the system, waiting for the menu button to appear. This might take a few seconds aftre the system is ready booting. I'm really curious why this happens.
alexk2444

Post by alexk2444 »

It's a problem because I can open home folder via the shortcut on the desktop and open the terminal at the desktop via right-click. So something about the menu is making take longer to load.
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

I think the menu is probably just a plugin. It would load after the desktop is loaded. While annoying, it isn't really a bug. Perhaps the time can be cut down in an updated version (which would come in an update pack), but I do not believe this is a user-specific error.

Perhaps hibernate your system instead of a full shutdown? That would dramatically shorten your boot time.
alexk2444

Post by alexk2444 »

I'll see how it is after the next update. I can't really hibernate because I have a laptop.
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

alexk2444 wrote:I'll see how it is after the next update. I can't really hibernate because I have a laptop.
My laptops hibernate perfectly, much better than my desktops, actually. Having a laptop does in no way prevent you from hibernating :mrgreen:

Return to “LMDE Archive”