Creating a new file association [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ctulhu

Creating a new file association [SOLVED]

Post by Ctulhu »

I am using Mint 12 KDE. I often use a mindmapping software called VUE, which allows one to generate a mind map in a GUI and then saves the file as an XML file. In my start menu, I have created a shortcut and icon for it (in the Office section of the start menu, which launches VUE by executing a .jar:

java -jar /home/NAME/PATH/VUE/VUE_3-1-2.jar

What I can't seem to do is create a file type for that. Dolphin looks at the file and classifies it as an HTML document, which means it uses Firefox to open it when I click on it. So I went to System Settings > File Associations > Add / Create a new file type. Not knowing which group to take, I tool the group text (because html/xml is text). I gave that thing a name (VUE Mindmap), gave it an icon, told it to open files like this with Office: VUE, etc. and it doesn't do shit. In Dolphin, .vue files are still considered HTML docs, it still opens with Firefox ...

In Gnome (before this whole Unity crap, that is) , this was all no problem - what's the glitch here, any thoughts?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HughT

Re: Creating a new file association

Post by HughT »

Hi Ctulhu, I'm not sure if I can help since I'm using Mint 11 Gnome. But it seems to me that you need a command to open the application first, then open the file with that. For example if I wanted to open a Word document with Libreoffice, I could use the terminal command

Code: Select all

soffice /Documents/Work/1366953.doc
Obviously I could create a launcher with that command and put it on the desktop or menu. Does that help in any way? regards
Ctulhu

Post by Ctulhu »

Hm, no, because I have a command:

java -jar /home/NAME/PATH/VUE/VUE_3-1-2.jar

The problem is that the File Associations tool doesn't let me override Mint's 'guess' that 'obviously' I want to open an XML/HTML with Firefox by creating a new file association.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
Ctulhu

Post by Ctulhu »

I thought I had done that but upon revisiting this, it turned out the link to the jar was broken, duh ... Now it's fine, thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”