Is there a way to make SSHFS more mainstream?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
hannu
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to make SSHFS more mainstream?

Post by hannu »

Maybe it would be good idea for Linux users in general to know more about the possibilities of SSH, SFTP and SSHFS.
You can have much better, your own "cloud" or VPN style networking than Windows users can even dream about with two Linux boxes:
- the client computer can access your fileservers files securely, ultra fast and conveniently without any major installations.
- run OpenSSH server in your fileserver at home, have your laptop access its files anywhere with SSHFS.

I notice that even relatively experienced Linux users don't seem to have noticed how powerful SSHFS really is. I use SSFHS on command line, which is easy enough, but maybe a GUI for it would make it more popular. For instance, future version of MInt could have a MintFS mount point in the users home dir, and a GUI that let's you mount a remote SSH servers file system to it.

Hannu
Habitual

Re: Is there a way to make SSHFS more mainstream?

Post by Habitual »

2 problems, "users" and "GUI".
I construct private Cloud Storage using various methods of mounting remote filesystems.
FUSE rocks!

I will admit I have extra work to do before I hand out a solution, usually I have to "dumb it down" quite a bit when I explain how it works, (just before "google it")
hannu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hannu »

Habitual wrote:2 problems, "users" and "GUI".
I construct private Cloud Storage using various methods of mounting remote filesystems.
FUSE rocks!

I will admit I have extra work to do before I hand out a solution, usually I have to "dumb it down" quite a bit when I explain how it works, (just before "google it")
Sounds interesting. The way I have made my "cloud" system easier for others by using aliases that simplify the command line use. The command line seems to be a huge mental barrier for many. I create mount point ~/sfs
Then, in ~/.bashrc I set:
alias mfs='sshfs server.domain.com: sfs'
alias ufs='fusermount -u sfs'

I use RSA certificates to authenticate, so the user is not prompted for login. All the user has know to do is type "mfs" to mount the sshfs file system, and "ufs" to drop it.
For myself, I have two servers, one at the office and one at home. They run rsync cron jobs at all times to stay current to each other. With Linux clients, I mount sshfs, with Mac and Windows boxes smb client. Mac can work with sshfs, but it does seem as reliable as Linux sshfs.
Hannu
oracle2b

Post by oracle2b »

PySSHFS is the only GUI I've discovered for SSHFS.

https://github.com/dprevite/pysshfs

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”