How to remote desktop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eiger3970
Level 4
Level 4

How to remote desktop

Post by eiger3970 »

i checked a few links, however in my Linux Mint 13 Maya/Menu/Applications/All there is no remote desktop?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqlZq8LzBq4

Any help please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Machine specs:
Disk space: 184.8 GB
Graphics: GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-76-generic x86_64
Linux Mint 21.1 Vera 64-bit.
MATE 1.26.0
Memory: 15.5 GiB
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10105F CPU @ 3.7GHz x 8
Koji

Re: How to remote desktop

Post by Koji »

Easiest method would probably be just to install team viewer from the repositories.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

LM already has "vino", the standard gnome VNC server used for "desktop sharing", coming preinstalled aside with X11vnc (the tool you saw in the youtube video). There are also a lot of vnc clients and servers already available in standard Ubuntu/LM repos. Why do you want to get packages outside of the official and secure repos ? You can install "remmina" (remote desktop client) and the plugins you want to use to do remote desktop tasks (RDP, VNC, SSH, XDMCP, etc).

You should install .deb coming from the outside (and with care) only if the programs you want are not available in the official repositories.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-cache search vnc
will list most of what is available
eiger3970
Level 4
Level 4

Post by eiger3970 »

ok, here's some successful steps:
1. Download tightvnc here http://www.tightvnc.com/download.php/ to your Windows pc.
2. On Maya computer, go to Menu/Software Manager/search for VNC/double click ssvnc.
3. Configure Maya computer ssvnc:
VNC Host:Display. your computer's username:the number 0
VNC Password. your computer's password.
Proxy/Gateway: your router's IP address.

So, now my Windows pc has TightVNC Service and VNC server-Server mode running.

I can't find something like 'enter the IP address of the computer you want to access'?
It should be simple but I haven't found anything like that yet...any ideas to access Maya from Windows and vice versa?
Machine specs:
MATE 1.26.0
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

eiger3970 wrote:...any ideas to access Maya from Windows and vice versa?
You can use PuTTY for accessing from windows to linux.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PuTTY

Remmina, KRDP, ... etc works from linux to windows.
Remmina: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-KhC3q4IVY&feature=plcp
eiger3970
Level 4
Level 4

Post by eiger3970 »

It's working!
Here are the steps for remote desktop access to Linux Mint 13 Maya Mate from Windows.

1. In Maya on install of system, select option: Log in automatically.
2. In Maya, go to Menu/Software Manager/search for vino and install if not installed.
2.1. In Maya to install vino go to Menu/Software Manager/search for vino and double click vino to install.
3. In Maya, go to Menu/Search: Desktop Sharing. If Desktop Sharing not there, go to Menu/Terminal: vino-preferences.
4. In Maya, in the new Desktop Sharing Preferences window:
4.1. Select Allow other users to view your desktop.
4.2. Deselect You must confirm each access to this machine.
4.3. Select Require the user to enter this password.
4.4. Select Automatically configure UPnP router to open and forward ports.
4.5. Close.
5. In Maya, go to Menu/Terminal: /usr/lib/vino/vino-server --sm-disable to start the vino server. (Terminal is finished when you see: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're its parent. Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're its parent.).
6. In Maya, go to Menu/Applications/Preferences/Startup Applications/Add.
Name: vino server startup;
Command: /usr/lib/vino/vino-server --sm-disable.
Add/Close.
7. In Maya, close the Terminal.
8. In Maya, go to Menu/Terminal: ifconfig. View the eth0 inet addr which will be xxx.xxx.x.xxx (Maya's IP address).
9. In Maya, go to Menu/Quit/Restart.
10. In Windows, download TightVNC from http://www.tightvnc.com/download.php/ to your Windows PC and install.
11. In Windows, go to Start\All Programs\TightVNC\TightVNC Viewer. Enter Remote Host: xxx.xxx.x.xxx (Maya's IP address) and Connect.
12. In Windows, in the new Authentication window, enter the Password and select OK.

One problem encountered: Do NOT go to Maya's Menu/Control Center/Login Window/Login Window Preferences/Accessibility/Enable accessible login. This messed up Maya and I had to reinstall Maya.

Improvement wanted:
I want to password protect Maya's desktop so Terminal hackers cannot access Maya's desktop. However vino won't load from boot until logged into Maya's desktop.
Perhaps if Maya's Menu/Control Center/Login Window/Login Window Preferences/Accessibility/Enable accessible login worked, password protection could be used and remote desktop viewing from other computers could log in and access with the remote desktop viewing password for security.

Big thanks and good karma to the Linux Mint chat help to help research and build these successful steps!
Last edited by eiger3970 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Machine specs:
MATE 1.26.0
eiger3970
Level 4
Level 4

Post by eiger3970 »

Stuck with vino server not loading until logged into the GUI desktop console Gnome session for Maya.

I researched this:
http://superuser.com/questions/136785/h ... untu-10-04
Machine specs:
MATE 1.26.0
eiger3970
Level 4
Level 4

Post by eiger3970 »

So, trying to enable auto login, but problems after enabling auto login.

I went to: Maya/Menu/Control Center/Login access/Enable auto login for user ken/Close.

Error 1 on computer Maya startup: Could not update ICEauthority file /home/ken/.ICEauthority

Error 2 on computer Maya startup: There is a problem with the configuration server. (/usr/lib/MateConf/mateconf-sanity-

check-2 exited with status 256)

Error 3 on computer Maya startup: The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:MATE_mintMenu". Do you want to

delete the applet from your configuration? Don't Delete.

Error 4 on computer Maya startup: The path for the directory containing caja settings need read and write permissions:

/home/ken/.config/caja

Error 5 on computer Maya startup: Closed first 4 errors and logged into Maya. Panel Menu button is missing. (shift m

doesn't return the Menu).

Error 6 on computer Maya startup: Closed 1st 4 errors and vino server hasn't started automatically.

Error 7 on Windows computer: TightVNC Viewer can no longer access Maya even when logged in. Error: No connection could

be made because the target machine actively refused it.

Error 8 on Windows computer: TightVNC Viewer can no longer access Maya even when logged in. Error: A connection failed

because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because

connected host has failed to respond.
Machine specs:
MATE 1.26.0
mcneilm

Post by mcneilm »

just to say thankyou so much for this post, it got me out of a real bind i.e. I couldn't work out how to set up remote desktop on linux maya. Your (obviously very carefully crafted) instructions were spot on!!!! :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”