Mint 13 software problems (restart, screensaver, etc)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
erku

Mint 13 software problems (restart, screensaver, etc)

Post by erku »

I have 5 computers with Linux. All, the AMD-based desktops. Athlon and Phenom, with Nvidia bridge and video and AMD/ATI bridge and video.
Now installed two of them Cinnamon (linuxmint-13-cinnamon-dvd-64bit.iso). And now, two months can not get them normally to work. These crashes different ways. I've installed them, around in different ways and no results.
1. if, immediately after the installation will crash then help, for a moment, the terminal command: sudo update-grub
2. if the screensaver crash (while running and while not; when configuring, then is currently working for a moment, otherwise there is a black screen), have tried remove gnome-screensaver and install xscreensaver and clean the package manager gnome-screensaver and etc; no results. None of the keyboard key does not work, helps to unplug the computer off.
3. desktop off problem and same with log off and same with reboot. At best, computer says: broken pin or etc when computer shuts down or restarts, but usually remains a black screen or a long text on a black background, which is repeated, infinitely and then: none of the keyboard key does not work, helps to unplug the computer off. Help until next time, if the write terminal command: sudo apt-get update and they will repeat them all again.
4. Mint Cinnamon not supported 1920x1080 res in 22 inches monitor (ATI/22"), this letter is unreadable and other icons and the etc problems. Ok, the 1600x900 res is ok; but then arrives freeze problem, where the screen is all confused and again: none of the keyboard key does not work, helps to unplug the computer off. This happens when the screensaver turns off, or log of, or shutdown, or reboot.

I understand that is totally wrong. But I do not understand. I've tried update and not update, install drivers and not install them, install updates to Mint and and to upgrade everything. But the result is not ! :evil:
Nice steps across the forums, I managed only to crash a computer. Moderators do not read at all guess what kind of nonsense is written and what is recommended at all! :lol:

Ok. If upgrade the Cinnamon, then which asks, twice: modify the configuration file or not?
Nothing is the wrong of the system, or missing or improperly; a fact which has?

..who knows thanks in advance..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Mint 13 software problems (restart, screensaver, etc)

Post by viking777 »

If you are having problems with Cinnamon freezing randomly try the instructions written here:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/955
erku

Post by erku »

Thank you for your response.
I try set it, if time can be...
But, I installed a 13 Mint KDE is one machine and the computer is working initially properly. At least, have never crash or freeze yet. The only one, that I had to early make, was font settings.
erku

Post by erku »

One of my computer hardware, as I found in the forums and reading the bug, most is not supported by the Linux software (etc various possible errors: AM3 platform, amd 780g chipset, ALC888 Realtek audio, ATI8650 video, etc.)
I gave up Cinnamon and LMDE, I can not be used (because recent can not detect audio hardware (already in bootup; and configuration of forced repression, do not get me the 5.1 sound,...etc).

At the moment running Mate. Initially it is not updated and additional drivers are not installed; just a few of the necessary programs are included. Total has not freeze yet been run, the sound works and high-res monitor is set to 1600x900 resolution and it is now also quite readable too.
I remove the mate-screensaver and install the xscreensawer and added in the Startup programs xscreensaver-nosplash; the screensaver works. However, that eliminate the Power of graphic interface.

Question would be: How to restore the Power graphical Mate (Gnome) interface ; or the power interface of the xscreensaver works, or has a conflict with Mate Power?

Return to “Other topics”