HELP! in big fat red letters!!!(Lost all panel icons)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

HELP! in big fat red letters!!!(Lost all panel icons)

Post by Hexeta »

I'm running Mint 9 LXDE and I've done something silly! (again)
The desktop picture I set last time had gone when I logged in today, so by mistake I created another panel which appeared at the top of the screen.
In haste, I deleted the original panel and moved the new one to the bottom of the screen...........now It is totally devoid of any icons!
First of all, How do I get back the icons I previously had, and second, having now remembered how to change/get back my desktop wallpaper, how do I get it to stay there, short of "nailing" it to the screen! :)
This is how it used to look (you need to right click and select "view image" to see both ends) currently there are no icons at all, I've just been lucky in finding a firefox folder that allowed me to get in touch with the world! :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Re: HELP! in big fat red letters!!!(Lost all panel icons)

Post by Hexeta »

Thanks for that, I've been trying by myself and now instead of a blank panel I have almost got back to where it was before.Image

The monitor icon is the menu button but it's not like the old mint one. :(
The iconify windows is also not like the old mint one.:(
and the filing cabinet in the middle though it's exactly like before, it produces a menu when clicked where as it used to show the "My folders" window.:(
Is there some way to get these the way that they were?
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Reload Synaptic Package Manager (probably in Preferences), and reinstall lxpanel. Alternatively,

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install lxpanel
in terminal.

If lxpanel freezes or gets messed up in the future, the first thing to try is

Code: Select all

lxpanelctl restart
in the terminal. When lxpanel works it is very nice, but unfortunately can be a bit flaky in some distributions on some hardware.

When this happens I just replace it with tint2 which is equally nice and more stable.
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hexeta »

Thanks for that, tint2 looks interesting.
I've had more success restoring the LX Panel to it's former "glory"!
I think I now have more to lose than to gain by attempting to re-install it!

When I get more confident, I might try tint2. :D thanks.

Return to “Software & Applications”