New to Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gavinjb

New to Mint

Post by gavinjb »

Hi,

I am looking at buying a new PC in the next couple of months and I have been playing with Linux on and off for a couple of years (mainly k/ubuntu) but after looking at Mint I instantly fell in love, it looks nice and the visual enhancements seem to make life easier and I do not want the latest MS Windows thank you, but I have a couple of questions regarding Mint.

1. From looking at the FAQ's etc it looks like the recommended way for any new version is to do a fresh install, I would prefer to be able to do a dist upgrade, has anyone done this and how did it go as the instructions look fairly complex, also does anyone know if there are any plans for a tool like ubuntu to make upgrading to new versions easier.

2. I have an Epson DX4450 All in One printer and from googling it looks like they can be fairly awkward to get installed and working has nayone installed on of these under Mint and if so how easy was it to install.

Thanks,

Gavin,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: New to Mint

Post by Fornhamfred »

Welcome Gavin

Taking the second item, I have a DX4850 installed on my windows box and was able to install it across the network on Daryna very easily.

With regard to your first question, if you have not installed Mint yet why are you looking at dist upgrading?

If we can help at all we will.
gavinjb

Post by gavinjb »

Hi Thanks for the reply, good to hear that the DX4450 is easy to install, I take it you have got the scanner working as well as the printer?

As for dist upgrading, when I look at a distro I like to make sure that I have everything covered and no surprises when it comes to upgrading. I currently don't have Mint installed (except through VirtualBox on XP), but as I several apps I use are a real pain (puppy/guppy for Topfield PVR + firmware upgrader to mention a couple) I dont like to have to re-install the OS plus all the extras everytime a new version is released if I can help it.

Gavin,
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Gavin

Because I have the printer across the network I do not have the scanner working. I have not tried to hang it off the Linux box as I have a canoscan Lide 60 scanner hung from it.

I can understand your problem with re-installing after every upgrade but I think that Mint is worth trying.

Return to “Beginner Questions”